Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3135, Foton FT404,Farmtrac 555 ,Kubota L245H offset garden tractor
   / Interesting oil brand comparison #2  
Great article, thanks for posting.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #3  
Very good article, lots of good information

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #4  
I love oil analysis. It once helped me catch a truck dealer ripping me off. My Cat SOS results started dropping off in my Paystar and we found out the dealer was charging me for Shell Rotella which I always use, but they were using the cheaper Shell Rimula.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #5  
   / Interesting oil brand comparison #6  
That was an interesting article. Thanks for posting. I own a GM 5.3l and wont be buying mobile one ever. Where they tested rotella it loos to have done prety well, for the price. Amsoil did really well but is prob 2x the price and can be hard to find.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #7  
I've been saying that for years. Good, clean oil of any brand is better than old, dirty oil of the best brand. (if you can even say what the best brand is)

I used to pull oil samples and send them off for analysis, but stopped doing that about 20 years ago. Now, I just change the oil and filter, on or before the recommended service interval.
I have 10 diesel engines here. I buy my oil in 55 gallon drums from the local jobber. Through the years I've used Exxon, Mobil, Shell, Texaco, Chevron, and currently using CAM2. Of all of them, I'm most impressed with the CAM2, and was mostly under-impressed by the Rotella. (it would have what looked like black soot in the bottom of the drum, and was the most expensive)

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #8  
Ralph,
You point out a good point. The newer 5W-30 oils are not the same as the older 15W-40 oils.

I think it would be interesting to see how they (5W vs. 15W) would compare against each other.

For my OLD diesel iron, I am inclined to think I should stay with the heavier 15W-40 motor oil.

BarnieTrk

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #9  
That was an interesting article. Thanks for posting. I own a GM 5.3l and wont be buying mobile one ever. Where they tested rotella it loos to have done prety well, for the price. Amsoil did really well but is prob 2x the price and can be hard to find.

Why do people keep saying that "Amsoil can be hard to find."
For 10 years I place an order on line save 25% from retail
and have it delivered to my front door in two days.

What is hard about that?

Now lets talk price
Rotella t6 at walmart is $55.69 or $13.92 a Quart
Signature amsoil 15/40 is $8.81 a quart FREE SHIPPING

So again why do people say it's exspensive and say Rotella is such a bargain?

I guess facts don't matter.

/ Interesting oil brand comparison #10  
I always use (and trust) JD oil, but bought Rotella on sale for the first time last week to use in some Diesel Generators. Sixty bucks a pail VS a hundred! I figure the generators don't get enough use to make it matter much what I use.