Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
In case anyone is curious about this kind of stuff, here's a link to the Mt. Washington, NH weather observatory website Mt. Washington.

For those unaware, the weather up there is wild. Its only about 8300 ', but its local geography makes it NASTY.

Yesterday they got under -100 F wind chill !!!

Should be interesting to see where the bottom out tommorow morning.

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Should be interesting to see where the bottom out tommorow morning. )</font>

Was watching CNN this a.m., and the weather guy, Chad, said that Mt. Washington was at - 114 F today! However, he did clarify that that number was based on the old wind chill formula. Apparently people have been saying that it's not as cold as it used to be, and he believes that's because they're remembering the old temperatures.

I think he said that the wind chill today under the new formula was only - 60 F. Gee, that would really make me feel warmer! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold #3  
Actually it's about 6288' +-, & a really nice hike. It can be 80* at the base & 40* at the summit. The old bikes with the straight 50w oil hate starting if you stay at the top too long, but the auto road is something that shouldn't be missed as well.

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold #4  
"Its only about 8300 ',"

It can't be. The tallest peak east of the Rockies is Mt. Mitchell (6684 feet) here in NC. I've backpacked that area many times.

It might be 6300 feet on top of Mt. Washington.

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold #5  
<font color="blue"> It might be 6300 feet on top of Mt. Washington. </font>

6288' exactly...according to the USGS marker anyay. Happens to be 1008' more than a mile.

Just one of those useless facts that I seem to collect. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold
Okay Okay...I stand corrected /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I did realize my oops after posting, but hadn't had a chance to get to fix it.

I beg forgiveness from the TBN accuracy gods /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Actually it's about 6288' +-, & a really nice hike. )</font>

The wife and I stopped there during our trip this past October. We wanted to take the train to the top, but 1) It was very overcast and drizzly so we didn't think we'd see much, and 2) it cost $50.00 per person for the ride! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Figured it was not worth the cost for what we wouldn't see.

We did take a loan out so that we could eat lunch in the base station restaurant, though! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold #8  
You are forgiven, my son.
Go forth and oops no more.
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Interesting Stuff Re: The Cold #10  
<font color="blue"> We wanted to take the train to the top </font>

I actually climbed it while I was in college... The hike up was beautiful, but the end was a disappointment. You spend the better part of a day climbing through some beautiful country and as you climb over the last little rise at the top you end up in..........a parking lot full of cars!?! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Not at all what I had expected!

We climbed on a clear day and the view was incredible all the way up (and at the top, of course). At the top there was a line of folks waiting to get their picture taken at the altitude marker (USGS Benchmark)... The crowd parted and allowed us to go to the front as we approached. Not sure if they were deferring to those that climbed (perhaps some unwritten rule) or more likely we weren't smelling the greatest after all the physical effort. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What I found interesting was the list of folks who had died on the mountain - at least one a year for as long as they've been keeping records. Not hard to do when you consider how fast the weather can (and does) change up there.

Worth the trip on a clear day either on foot or by train/car...at least once anyway (so you can say you've done it)...