Intermittent Starter

/ Intermittent Starter #11  
Marc /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Gosh! it sounds like you have run the works with the starter.
Have you tried a different ignition switch?
Maybe, just maybe its not making the right contact, dirt, grease, worn out ?
Next time it does it remove the key switch, and bypass it on the back of it with a screw driver touching the wires together.
I have done this and discovered that my switch was bad
and I had the same intermittent starting problem that you seem to be having.
I hope its an easy fix for you
Tractor Ernie.

/ Intermittent Starter
Another thing that can cause this is worn bushings at the ends of the armature shaft. they are in the ends of the starter case. That in turn allows the armature to ground out against the case. When I was young I saw this a lot and a a pair of 50 cent bushings would fix the starter. I dont know if they even sell them anymore. If they do Ill bet that they cost a lot more than 50 cents.
Ralph

/ Intermittent Starter #13  
Ernie, if the solenoid is pulling doesn't the problem have to be in the starter?

/ Intermittent Starter #14  
Ernie, if the solenoid is pulling doesn't the problem have to be in the starter?

I thought he said sometimes he just gets a click when he turns the key over sometimes

/ Intermittent Starter #15  
I Went back & read your posts on the problem
I noticed that the starter worked every time on the test table
and then when you installed it, whamo! no workie.
I will put my $$ on the key switch or the wiring leading to it.

Try the test out on my earlier post, about removing the key switch and touching the wires together and see what happens.
Its a cheap test & cost nothing.

Be sure you are sitting on the seat when you try this first
because it could start & take off!!

Tractor Ernie.

/ Intermittent Starter
Ernie, I do not think that the ignition switch is bad. Remember, when the starter does NOT engage, I still hear the "click" (pull) of the solenoid. This means that the ignition switch IS sending voltage to the solenoid when I turn the key. On the other hand, if the ignition switch is bad, then, NO voltage would be sent to the solenoid, and the solenoid would NOT "pull".

In another forum, someone mentioned that I bypass both safety switches (at clutch and PTO lever). That is easy to do. However, when safety circuit is "open" I know that solenoid will not "click" (pull). That is how it is designed to function. My problem is that the solenoid DOES pull at ALL times when safety circuit is closed by depressing the clutch pedal and placing PTO lever in neutral, but the starter does NOT engage at ALL times. He described the exact same problem as mine. He changed starters and solenoids, only to find out that by plugging the safety circuit wires together, solved his intermittent starter engagement problem. Sounds odd! Once he isolated the bad switch, he cleaned the contacts. Any thoughts on this too? Thank you.

Marc

/ Intermittent Starter #17  
Marc, how much voltage is your battery showing now that the starter is intermittant again? Going back to another post, you said it worked 20 times in a row when the battery read 12.65 v, and later became intermittant. I would try it with a battery charger hooked up, or at least make sure you are maintaining at least 12.6v.

/ Intermittent Starter #18  
Machi
Did I ever tell you about the extra 1510-D starter I have on a shelf? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Oh I forgot to mention the new yanmar key switches also!
I must have at least 8-10 of them.

if push comes to shove with the 186 !!
It might be easier than a hammer on the hood
take care
Ernie

/ Intermittent Starter
Norm, I had it running this evening. I would estimate about a 70% start rate. The battery still reads 12.65 - 12.72 volts at the solenoid end. That is adequate voltage. I am still leaning towards pitted solenoid contacts as the culprit. Unfortunately, it appears to be a "closed" system at the contact-end. It looks like the case is crimped on. Maybe I should just get a cheapie starter relay and forget about the contacts in the solenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Intermittent Starter
try tighting the nut on the cable from the solenoid going into the starter. you have a loose connection.