International 300 steering geometry problems...

/ International 300 steering geometry problems...
Well, a few members on YTMAG said the binding is normal, and that you indeed want to hit the spindle stops. When the front axle pivots, it does indeed jerk the wheel a bit.

I even went and checked out dads 8n. It is similar in the binding, but not as bad. The draglinks are longer and the axle dont pivot as far, so the "bump steer" isnt as noticeable, but still present.

When I put everything back together the first time, I had the front axle upside down...on purpose. Cause the axle, when installed correctly, is slightly upswept. Think a U shape, bot only a few degrees.

I turned it upside down to get a little more lift up front and was going to just modify the axle stops so it would still only have the same amount of travel.

Upside down gives about 3.5" lift up front. I thought this was my binding issue, so put everything back to square one, and still was dealing with the binding. So now I may flip the axle back upside down again?? Any reason I havent thought of not to?

/ International 300 steering geometry problems... #22  
been watching this thread with interest.

don't you love old iron!

Now you see why I have taken to playing with trikes.. :)

Yea, a trike would be easier.

Any of your old ford wide fronts have similar issues like I describe?? With the bump.steer especially when turned hard one way or another?

/ International 300 steering geometry problems... #24  
fords , assuming AG chassis, and a un-worn front axle king pin, don't have a huge range of pivot onthe front axle. that greatly limits what you are seeing on yours. IE.. the geometry of the box and arms tothe axles remains very close.

fords , assuming AG chassis, and a un-worn front axle king pin, don't have a huge range of pivot onthe front axle. that greatly limits what you are seeing on yours. IE.. the geometry of the box and arms tothe axles remains very close.

Thats what I was experiencing when trying to see if the issue existed on dads 8n. Not much range of travel.

I got one of those fancy digital angle finder boxes. According to it, I have 21.3 degrees of front axle travel. And thats alot.

I am also just going to leave the axle the right way. IF I want to lift it when done, I'll source some taller tires, or get axle outer tubes off a high clearance tractor from a junkyard. I dont feel like messing with re-doing the pivot stops. The way it is now, is a nice design.

/ International 300 steering geometry problems... #26  
Yep. and some people even weld up the stops on a ford to make up or limit travel further.

/ International 300 steering geometry problems... #27  
Had my left thumb fractured by a steering wheel in a race car. I already knew intellectually that I shouldn't drive with my thumbs wrapped around the inside where the spokes could hit them. But I didn't give it enough importance. Now I know it in my soul too.

xtn