International 5 rotary mower question

/ International 5 rotary mower question #1  

Botabill

Platinum Member
Anyone had experience with a International 5 rotary mower. Kinda like a bush hog. It is a 3PH with power take of shaft. Any postitive or negative comments? Thanks!

/ International 5 rotary mower question #2  
Don't know it by that name, but I had an IM500 five foot rotary cutter distributed and supported by International Machinery Corp up in Ohio. I think their name now is World AgriTech or something similar. Good enough value for the money that I upgraded it to their IM602 model when I got a bigger tractor.

//greg//

/ International 5 rotary mower question #3  
They are decent mowers but I do not like the design of using angle iron to support the deck externally. It holds water and grass clippings and rust out the top deck. If you can keep it inside and clean it will last a long time. My co worker has one and it rusted from the problems I mentioned above n about 5 years.

Chris

/ International 5 rotary mower question #4  
Interesting. I had the IM500 for about 5 years - followed by the IM602 for another five. Both were stored out in the pasture 365 days a year. Neither showed/shows even the slightest indication of rust perforation.

Now the cab corners and rear wheel arches on my Ford/GMC/Chevy pickup trucks are a whole different story.........I wish they'd hold up as well as my rotary cutters.

//greg//

/ International 5 rotary mower question #5  
I bought a very well used one (IM500) for $50.00 and ran it over all kinds of Maple sapplings without a problem! It looks like ****, but does the job! Get a Slip clutch, so you don't go through shear pins, like I did at first.

regards, Phil

/ International 5 rotary mower question #6  
Go to Home to see INTERNATIONAL attachmemts your describing. I dont know if this business still there but web site still open with prices in OHIO. I have never dealt w-them. I do have their (INTERNATIONAL) single 14 plow,square tubing boom pole, 12in. PHD, bought it all new from outfit in FLA. Have been good stuff for what I PAID.

/ International 5 rotary mower question #7  
I had one for several years. Only complaint was that the stump jumper was too flimsy. It bent easily and I finally had to have stiffeners welded to it. Taking a stump jumper off and on isn't much fun.

/ International 5 rotary mower question #8  
Anyone had experience with a International 5 rotary mower. Kinda like a bush hog. It is a 3PH with power take of shaft. Any postitive or negative comments? Thanks!

Does it look anything like my International IM502??? I think they are very well made mowers. I got this one used for $500. The "502" indicates slipclutch, which mine has. The "500" is the same one with a shear bolt. I've only used it a few times since I got it and it's worked great but I will really put it to the test when we start bushhogging at our hunt club in a few more weeks. As already mentioned about the deck holding water, mine does has some very minor surface rust on top of the deck, between the gearbox and tailwheel. If you drill some weep holes in the squares, there shouldn't be any problems with the deck rusting through though.

InterntlIM5025ftbushhog006.jpg

/ International 5 rotary mower question #9  
This is just like the one I owned except the three point on this one is a little different. The one I had didn't have an access hole through the top of the deck so that you could get a socket on the nut that holds the blades on. I had someone put this hole in with a cutting torch.

/ International 5 rotary mower question #10  
I've owned an IM500 for about 8 years. Agree that it collects stuff on the top but is always stored under cover so rust is no issue. Ran an over run clutch when on my Ford 841D. Now use a slip clutch on the tractor with my Kioti DK45S. I highly recommend the slip clutch even if you use an overrun. Probably a 6' would be better on the Kioti. My dealer cut a hole with a holesaw over the blade bolts & hinged the cutout with a bolt down tab. They should come that way. Both the original blade bolts broke, at different times, but I've had no other troubles. Just last week I tried mowing without any toplink, I like that much better. I always carry a chain so could have lifted it if necessary. MikeD74T