Intro and 4WD question

/ Intro and 4WD question #11  
I'd go with 4WD all the time.

I used to get stuck all the time with my humogous Case, and even though I learned how to 'walk' that machine out with the hoe and FEL, I'd still take a smaller 4WD.

Its about traction, not power. Most tractors will run out of traction before they run out of power. Pulling a huge harrow or something on a dry field may be an exception, but I've never regretted having 4WD on a machine, but I have regretted deciding to buy a 2WD something.

A 2WD in mush will kind of ski in whatever direction the rear wheels want it to go. A 4WD will pull itself out of a rut, and you can use the differential lock if that isn't enough.

4WD! 4WD! (chanting now ....)

/ Intro and 4WD question #12  
One thing that I don't think was mentioned in the question of 2wd vs. 4wd with FEL, is that on a 2wd, with a heavy load in the FEL on very much of a slope, you can very easily not only lose wheel drive but also braking, with no help from the engine.

/ Intro and 4WD question #13  
Provided you can keep the front end on the ground! Wink. Wink. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Intro and 4WD question #14  
I've been listening to this debate for what seems like decades, although its been less than a year. At the non-stop, relentless urging of fellow TBN'rs, I surrendered and purchased 4WD.

While digging a culvert ditch with my 39 HP Kubota this weekend, the advantages became obvious. Nose down, with a moderate load in the bucket, it was not possible to back out of the ditch in 2WD. Since I was backing onto a paved road, I remained cautious to not operate in 4WD on the paved surface. Each time I rolled off the pavement to pick up another load, I remained in 2WD until I was ready to back out. Occasionally, I could get out in 2WD, but not without wheel spin. I'm sold on 4WD.

Note to Gatorboy. My FEL is dirty. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Intro and 4WD question #15  
Good point Norm,

In fact on the New Holland TN's if you are not in 4WD and apply the brakes, it switches into 4WD while the brakes are on. New Holland also states in many places on their website that 4WD tractors are more fuel efficient. Also remember, you can always turn off 4WD, you can't put a 2WD tractor into 4WD.
A New Holland TC55 or TN65 would be a good choice for your uses and have special deals and financing right now.

Andy

/ Intro and 4WD question #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I have also considered the ease of use factor for my daughter (13) to be able to safely learn and operate in the years ahead.........Wrong forum, but I'd rather have her driving a 4WD with an FEL than riding in some hotshot's car!! ....hand me that shotgun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

)</font>

My sons and daughter started operating my machines at 8 (going slow) and were able to use a backhoe effectively at 12. 13 is a great age to start and if she's interested you won't believe how much help she can be on a project.

Andy

/ Intro and 4WD question
Thanks Rick for yet another real life example for us 'not yet users'. I know the debate is a classic one and I thank you and all for allowing me to toss it out there yet again.....

tom

/ Intro and 4WD question #18  
0654:

A larger two wheel or smaller 4 wheel eh. Decisions??

Perhaps think of the major use and HP required. Can a smaller tractor lift and skid your logs. How many acres will you be plowing under what time constraint? Close quarter manuverability?

Can the smaller 4 wheel tractor handle all these conditions or will you need the HP of a larger two wheel tractor.

Where I live in Nova Scotia there are many two wheel larger tractors used in the woods for logging and hauling trees.

Myself, if there are good used buys around, would consider about a 75 HP 2 wheel drive tractor. That allows for many farming operations a smaller 4x4 tractor just can't handle.

Egon

/ Intro and 4WD question #19  
Once your wheels start spinning, 4wd is at least twice as good as 2wd.

/ Intro and 4WD question #20  
<font color="blue"> Once your wheels start spinning, 4wd is at least twice as good as 2wd.
</font>
JerryT I will second that motion! 4WD is twice as good as 2WD