Inverter on CUT?

/ Inverter on CUT? #11  
I think it would depend on what you're doing with it.

If you occasionally have to punch a couple of holes with a drill, I don't see how you would have a problem. Perhaps get a little bigger Deep Cycle battery.

If you're wanting to weld non-stop for hours at a time, it would be suboptimal.

I put a 300A alternator on my Blazer. Not too expensive off of E-Bay. It had a tiny pulley to run about 2x the speed of a normal alternator, and it still sometimes doesn't kick in at idle. So, on your tractor, with a low speed Diesel engine, you would have to verify the high power alternators would be effective, especially if you wish to idle it while you are working.

I had a 4000/8000W inverter that I was experimenting with earlier (not on a tractor). The biggest issue I had with it was that it would pull down the battery voltage under load, then hit an auto-shutoff. Cheap Chinese Stuff, the only way to keep it from hitting the auto-shutoff was to use a 14V battery.

I assume you've seen the Raven threads.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/general-lawn-garden/272033-anybody-got-one-these-yet.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/274656-raven-46-mower-generator-go.html

/ Inverter on CUT? #12  
In thinking of installing an inverter on my NH TC40DA so I can run shall power tools like a sawzall or power drill out in the field. Any advice or lessons from those who have done this and would do it differently next time?

I didn't install it, just used it.

PC281434.JPG

Jumper cable clamps on the battery.

PC281436.JPG

Cut these limbs, with the TORO idling.

PC281430.JPG PC281431.JPG

Later upgraded to a 1500W and mounted it on a board that slid into the receiver hitch on the front of the tractor. Used the same type cable connector that the receiver mounted winch used.

You can see the cable and the red connector between the headlight and the toolbox.

PB190026.JPG

Worked good for me, I didn't have any cordless tools at the time.

/ Inverter on CUT? #13  
I've gone through 5 inverters. Get a generator. I haven't gone through any of them yet.

/ Inverter on CUT?
Thanks for all the input. I don't really want to drag my 4000w generator into the bush, but that might be my best option.

/ Inverter on CUT? #15  
Many "modern" generators have a generator coupled with an inverter.
Perhaps a little heavier duty inverter than the Chinese stuff.

It never hurts to oversize your inverter somewhat, although the sub 1000W inverters are very cheap.

/ Inverter on CUT? #16  
Just put out the money for a Honda EU200i, and don't look back. You'll then have a nice little generator you can take anywhere. Top that off with it's dependency and quiet running. You won't regret it.

/ Inverter on CUT? #17  
I just bought the $89 Harbor Freight 900 watt generator for my field duty use. For the money, you can't beat it. No, it isn't a Honda, but it does what I need.

/ Inverter on CUT? #18  
In thinking of installing an inverter on my NH TC40DA so I can run shall power tools like a sawzall or power drill out in the field. Any advice or lessons from those who have done this and would do it differently next time?

Thanks for all the input. I don't really want to drag my 4000w generator into the bush, but that might be my best option.
Your initial conditions are idea for std modified sine inverter in the 1 to 1.5KW range. These will run up to circ saw and small chainsaw. Any tractor with an automotive sized battery would handle them for use on a non continuous basis.
larry

/ Inverter on CUT? #19  
My first suggestion would be battery tools. Although the tractor alternator would be inadequate for prolonged use it should work fine for a quick cuts.

/ Inverter on CUT? #20  
Quick take on inverters, they convert 12 VDC to 120 VAC... That is a X10 upwards voltage jump, and the amperage on 12 DC side will be 10 times more than power tool draw is on AC side (ohms law) ....

Lets say power tool draws 4 amps at 120 VAC, the means the inverter will draw at least 40 amps on DC input side to inverter at 12 volts to supply the 120V at 4 amps.......

A 1200 watt inverter will only supply up to 10 amps full out, but DC draw on input side will be almost 100 amps... Besure your DC power source is adequate to supply enough power to operate whatever tool is plugged in...

Dale