Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended

/ Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
My old DR oil extractor has not been holding its vacuum that long, requiring lots more pumping to get the oil out of sumps.

So, I bought an Ironton oil extractor pump from Northern Tool. In the little manual, it says to only use on oil between 40 and 50 C (104-122 F); otherwise, it may ruin the seals.

Guess it did. Used it on the Mx-5 yesterday. Worked fine.

Went to use it on the Mz3 this morning. Would not get suction. Had measured the dip stick alongside the dip tube to insert it the correct depth like I do on the DR extractor. Piddled with it then. Still no suction. Guess the hot oil from the Mx-5 ruined it.

Seems to be no way on the Northern Tool web site to contact them. Even the 800 chat # does not contact them. You have to sign in to review a product. I choose not to be a member. Anyone know how to contact them?

May just mail the pump back to them.

Ralph

/ Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended #3  
I don'r believe in oil extractors at all. The drain plug is there for a reason and that reason is to get ALL the oil out and any junk that might be in the bottom of the pan as well.

/ Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended #4  
I don'r believe in oil extractors at all. The drain plug is there for a reason and that reason is to get ALL the oil out and any junk that might be in the bottom of the pan as well.

I don't like the oil extractor pump idea either.
That said: I am 79 years old, and do not crawl under cars anymore.
I could take it to a repair shop, wait for it, or leave it, and get a ride both ways, and then pay full bore price for oil (Rotella-T), filter, and labor.
My $17 E-Bay oil extractor more than paid for itself with the first use.
If the cheap little pump quits even after a single use, I am still ahead of the game, by buying another.

Last edited:
   / Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended #5  
I don't like the oil extractor pump idea either.
That said: I am 79 years old, and do not crawl under cars anymore.
I could take it to a repair shop, wait for it, or leave it, and get a ride both ways, and then pay full bore price for oil (Rotella-T), filter, and labor.
My $17 E-Bay oil extractor more than paid for itself with the first use.
If the cheap little pump quits even after a single use, I am still ahead of the game, by buying another.

Fried1765, I thought 79 is the new 49! :)

/ Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended #7  
Never drained the oil in the Mercedes. Was still running well after 275k miles, but hit two deer and totaled it. I use the extraction pump and it saves having to crawl under vehicles...if I can access the filter easily as well. On some boat engines, an extraction pump is the only practical way to get the oil out.

Best is to drain via the plug if you can access it easily, but if certainly is not necessary.

/ Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended #8  
   / Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended #9  
One of my neighbors is 87 and has seven tractors. He still crawls under them for service and repairs! :eek:

/ Ironton oil extractor pump not recommended #10  
One of my neighbors is 87 and has seven tractors. He still crawls under them for service and repairs! :eek:

I still CAN do it, but I don't WANT to do it.
Different strokes, for different folks!