Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #1  

Michael In Tennessee

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800HST
I have an adjacent second property that has a well that used to be for a mobile home that has long ago been removed. The well pumps just fine. If I recall correctly, it is a 1 HP pump in a 300 ft well. Somewhere around here, I have the original well report with the specifics.

Unfortunately, when the mobile home got went, they took the power pole too. I installed an "RV" power pole and had the power company come out and hook it up. That got done just today. So, I got power.

Of course, the mobile home had the pressure tank underneath and the underpinning kept that space warm enough to avoid freezing. That doesn't exist now, so I need to figure out the best way to arrange for a proper irrigation well system.

I know the basics. I need a manifold, a pressure tank, a pressure switch, a disconnect box, and such. What I don't know is if there is a standard way to build this so it works without freezing or getting wet.

Being a retired Aerospace engineer (yes, a rocket scientist) I can easily come up with some elaborate, ridiculously ever-engineered solution. What I'm not good at is coming up with the minimum required installation. I'm envisioning pouring a 3' x 3' concrete pad next to the wellhead and placing the necessary equipment on it and then building a small insulated house over it that could be lifted off by tractor for servicing. Access door for minor servicing. I see no reason to make the building cover the well, however. This, of course, may be excessive and someone else may already know what I actually need to do.

Suggestions and pictures, please.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #2  
Build a simple, insulated Dog House over the well that is large enough to accommodate the control and pressure tank. Add a light bulb or Heat-Tapes for warmth and a Winter Watchman that will turn on a exterior light if the temperature drops below a certain set point.

I even put my jet pump under mine to keep the pump noise out of the house. I'm also going on 4 years with the same light bulb.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #3  
While you don't get freezing weather for months at a time in TN, it can get down to where pipes would freeze. But the good news is that the line from the well head to the house should be below the frost line.

IF...you have a basement, put the pressure tank, control box and pressure switch down there, and you'll never have to worry about freezing, or building something. I have ours in our basement, and I don't even hear the pressure switch click on. And servicing the controls/tank is a piece of cake. If no basement, consider building an insulated closet in your garage perhaps.

If you want to cover the well head, get one of those plastic fake rocks the well drillers use. It provides more protection than you would think. I wouldn't use it in Chgo climate, but in your area it should be good to go.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #4  
IF...you have a basement, put the pressure tank, control box and pressure switch down there, and you'll never have to worry about freezing, or building something. I have ours in our basement, and I don't even hear the pressure switch click on. And servicing the controls/tank is a piece of cake. If no basement, consider building an insulated closet in your garage perhaps.
I didn't see any mention of any house. I understand this to be a vacant lot with the well being used for irrigation.

My question to the OP is why bother? Turn the power off and let it drain back down into the well so everything at the surface is dry. Build your doghouse to protect the works from the elements but don't worry about freezing.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #5  
Mine is a 4'x4' concrete pad, with the well in one corner, and 6' walls. Various tanks, filters and electrical panels fill the space pretty quickly. The roof is designed to pop off in the case of any need well service, like replacing a pipe or pump. That came in really handy when the pump needed to be pulled. I would insulate the walls with foam to reduce vermin.

All the best,

Peter

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #6  
Live east of the Casecade Mountains in Washington State, get freezing winter weather and snow. I just use the drain back method for the irrigation system. Water drains out of the pipe at 3 feet below grade, so there is no water in the irrigation pipe as it is all aranged to drain either at the well or at the lowest point in the system.
No pressure tank in the system.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #7  
I didn't see any mention of any house. I understand this to be a vacant lot with the well being used for irrigation.
I just re-read the OP post. I missed the irrigation part. Thanx for the correction. To the OP....never mind...

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #8  
Depending upon your climate and desires;
A well insulated and sealed well house would be one option.
Years ago when the dug wells around here were getting repurposed for more use,
many of the pump houses were dug down 6-8 ft and sometimes a slab was poured,
at times just a pour footer and then a block wall below grade structure was built with
an insulated roof for the pump and pressure tank.
With this being for irrigation just a shelter for the tank and pump controller would work,
if well drained in the fall.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #9  
Live east of the Casecade Mountains in Washington State, get freezing winter weather and snow. I just use the drain back method for the irrigation system. Water drains out of the pipe at 3 feet below grade, so there is no water in the irrigation pipe as it is all aranged to drain either at the well or at the lowest point in the system.
No pressure tank in the system.
This is what i saw growing up on the "east" side of the Cascades. Your pump should be sized to handle the amount of water needed for irrigation and when you shut it off, the water drains back into the well. One thing that sometimes gets added is a pressure switch, that shut the pump off if you lose water for some reason, so the pump isn't run while it's dry.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #10  
There is really no need for a pressure tank. High - low shut off would be desirable And maybe a no flow shutdown.
Should be able to put the switches down the casing.