Mowing is 25hp PTO enough?

/ is 25hp PTO enough? #1  

Graybeard315

Tractor
JD 3032 Cab , Ferris ISX800 ZT
Just ordered a JD 3320 cab tractor (30hp - 25pto) with loader and am wondering if it will handle a 72" mid mount mower in 8"-10" grass? Mowing is primary purpose of tractor.

The next step up would be the 3520 (37hp - 30pto), but with the same frame and hydraulics I couldn't see the
extra $2,500 plus tax.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

/ is 25hp PTO enough? #2  
I would go with the higher HP.

/ is 25hp PTO enough? #3  
I think it will handle the thick stuff if you either slow your ground speed a bit or allow a little more overlap on the cut. If you don't expect to be cutting 8"-10" grass a lot, then maybe you're okay with the 3320. If you plan to mow for $, then I'd go for the higher HP.

/ is 25hp PTO enough? #4  
You ordered the tractor, then asked about the mower size? Hope it works out for you, probably go a bit slower in lush grass.
Jim

/ is 25hp PTO enough? #5  
You are not going to be happy with that combination with grass that tall, finish mowers are not meant to be rough cut mowers. I have a Kubota B2630 (20 pto hp) with 3pt 5' finish mower. This would be comparable to your set up with the 6' mower and it does not do well in tall thick grass. A rough cut mower would be what you would want for grass that high. If you keep the grass groomed, mowing weekly, then you will be all right.

/ is 25hp PTO enough?
Easy Jimmy, kinda a newbie with this size and probably having buyer second thoughts.

The additional 7hp comes from less cubic inch displacement and the addition of a turbocharger (more moving parts and maint.)

I normally mow finished field every two weeks so don't think there will be a problem, and then only four acres, if there is will change mowers or go to a brush hog type. I have talked with
two other 3320 owners with similar setups and as long as a lot of hills aren;t involved or really high grass, they haven't had any probs.

/ is 25hp PTO enough? #7  
If you got the air conditioning*, I think you'll be underpowered in high grass. As the others have said, shorten the overlap or raise the blades and make two passes.

*Required for a cab tractor in Texas. :)

/ is 25hp PTO enough? #8  
Lots of variables so you need to be careful of any assumptions about whether the setup you described will handle the job.

The design of the mower and how well it clears the cut grass makes a big difference as does how well the blades are sharpened.

From personal experience I can tell you this from a GT purchased a decade ago. My old GT grew legs and took off one night. It was spring time and grass growing fast. Took a couple weeks looking around and made a decision to try out one model. It was my Cub 3204 (Kohler with rated 22HP engine). Dealer brought out the tractor with the normal mower. Can't recall if it was a 44" or 48" model. By this time grass was a ft high and dense. The load killed the engine a couple times on the first round. Gave the deal a thumbs down and salesman said they had a HD deck for this series tractors. Another week passed by time tractor was picked up, new deck installed and the rig brought out again. By this time the grass was nearly 18" tall. With the new deck it mowed all of the sample area and didn't even breath hard. As I said, this was a dense patch of grass. So with nothing different other than different designed deck and another 4-6 inches in height, it went from unacceptable to both thumbs up and a deal closer.

So with that example, with the right designed deck, 25HP at the PTO, you shouldn't have any problems.

Found a pic of the area sited and you can see how the area looked after cutting and an adjacent area where you can see what the grass looked like before the haircut. Oh, in the pic that white spot in the tall grass is a bath tub watering tank.

Attachments

• field.jpg
    field.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 185
   / is 25hp PTO enough? #9  
As others have written...it'll work, but it might be slow going and you may have to take partial width passes for the first mowing. You really don't ant to let it get that high after that first mowing.
I'll add one more thing...suggest you mow when the grass is dry. Wet grass can be tough to mow.

/ is 25hp PTO enough? #10  
If you raise the mower deck to 4 inches then you would only be cutting 4 to 6 inch grass and your tractor should handle that with ease. Or if you raise the deck all the way up then it would be even easier.