Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor?

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #1  

MikeInMaine

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I've got a chance to buy a 60" box blade. My tractor is a Kubota B2620 (26 hp) with loaded ag tires. Is this implement too big?

I recently borrowed a 48" BB which worked great, but I can't continue to take advantage of my friend's generosity with an implement that I find so useful that I might never run out of jobs for it.

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #2  
...with loaded ag tires. Is this implement too big?...
I would say you'll be fine with it. I have a 28hp with a 6'. I like having it a bit wider. Only concern is if it too heavy... what brand /model?

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #3  
I run a 60" box blade with a 22 hp tractor with turf tires! Of course, weight is a primary factor to consider, but generally speaking, unless you're tractor is a SCUT, you should be fine.

Joe

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #4  
To answer the question.... No! I ran a 5ft BB behind a 4x4 JD750 and it pulled it pretty good The only issue was you could bog it down if you let the BB fill up with too much material, but that will still be true using it behind most other tractors that have significant more hp and weight. After using it some, you will learn when about how much material you can load up the BB with before it will start to bog down. Just try and stay below that and it will do fine. Remember that weight and traction are your friends. The more weight (wheel weights or loaded tires) and traction (ag tires are best) you get, the better it will pull a loaded BB.

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #5  
To answer the question.... No! I ran a 5ft BB behind a 4x4 JD750 and it pulled it pretty good The only issue was you could bog it down if you let the BB fill up with too much material, but that will still be true using it behind most other tractors that have significant more hp and weight. After using it some, you will learn when about how much material you can load up the BB with before it will start to bog down. Just try and stay below that and it will do fine. Remember that weight and traction are your friends. The more weight (wheel weights or loaded tires) and traction (ag tires are best) you get, the better it will pull a loaded BB.
Good advice-just make sure the BB cuts and covers the outside of the rear tire tracks.

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #6  
That's what I have with 25hp. I would have to have lighter dirt to use a bigger one.

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #7  
Tractordata.com says the B2620 is a 19 PTO horsepower tractor that weighs 1554lbs. If you're just wanting the box blade to smooth gravel and move softer material, I think this will be an excellent match and you'll be happy. If you're planning on using 6 ripper shanks to tear through hard dirt, roots, and tougher work, I expect you'll be spinning uselessly, loaded ag tires or not.

As a frame of reference, I have a 5 1/2 foot box blade that I use behind my IH 464, a 6500 lb 46 hp diesel machine. With the rippers down, there have been times where it's been impossible pull through my soil, the tractor spinning useless with the differential lock applied. If you have hard, rocky soil, just resign yourself to not being able to rip the ground with all the teeth in at once.

You'll probably be fine, but be aware that the larger box blade may be harder to use than a properly matched implement to your tractor and conditions.

I personally think a quality box blade is the most versatile ground engaging implement around, and others have good experiences using what you're talking about with similar size equipment.

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor?
Tractordata.com says the B2620 is a 19 PTO horsepower tractor that weighs 1554lbs. If you're just wanting the box blade to smooth gravel and move softer material, I think this will be an excellent match and you'll be happy. If you're planning on using 6 ripper shanks to tear through hard dirt, roots, and tougher work, I expect you'll be spinning uselessly, loaded ag tires or not.

As a frame of reference, I have a 5 1/2 foot box blade that I use behind my IH 464, a 6500 lb 46 hp diesel machine. With the rippers down, there have been times where it's been impossible pull through my soil, the tractor spinning useless with the differential lock applied. If you have hard, rocky soil, just resign yourself to not being able to rip the ground with all the teeth in at once.

You'll probably be fine, but be aware that the larger box blade may be harder to use than a properly matched implement to your tractor and conditions.

I personally think a quality box blade is the most versatile ground engaging implement around, and others have good experiences using what you're talking about with similar size equipment.

Yes, the B2620 has 19 PTO hp and 26 engine hp. The base weight is 1554#, so it's much, much lighter than your IH 464.

Having stopped the tractor pulling a 48" BB already (rippers all the way down, box full of dirt) I did have concerns which, in the grand scheme, aren't too hard to deal with. Your suggestion of not using all the rippers at once is a good idea, and one that I had envisioned.

The borrowed 48" BB didn't quite cover the rear tires, and I can see where the added width of the 60" will be helpful in the immediate job of crowning my daughter's driveway and ditching the sides.

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. Not much controversy here -- a pretty solid consensus that while the 60" may prove too much box blade under some circumstances, it will be the right size most of the time.

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #9  
In short....no, I wouldn't use anything bigger than a 5' box blade.

When I fill up my 6' rear blade my tractor begins to work. A box blade will gather a lot more material than a rear blade.

How wide is your tractor.??

/ Is a 60 box blade too big for a 26 hp tractor? #10  
In short....no, I wouldn't use anything bigger than a 5' box blade...
...But the OP is asking about a 5 footer = 60" (as in the title)... correct? ;)