Snow Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big?

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #11  
I run a Buhler / Farm King 60" behind my B2620 (26 engine HP and 19 pto / hst transmission)
Works really well.

Issue is weight of tractor and lift capacity of 3pt hitch. Blower weighs 500 pounds and spec. from Buhler says 20 - 40 HP tractor rewquired. Never had a HP issue with my 60". Farm King - Snowblower

I run about 1700 rpm most of the time in low with HST pushed to the floor boards. I could run in 2nd as well but since driveway is 1/2 mile of gravel slower lets me adjust before shat hits the fan...

I blow at my cabin so often do not get to keep up with regular blowing but rather 1 or 2 times per year. Snow here is fairly dry and maybe 12" average when I blow.

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big?
Ductape--I measured the outside of rear tire width at 54". There is no substitute for horsepower, unless you don't have enough, which I realize my B21 has only 21 at the crank. One dealer told me, " A 60"unit with only 14 PTO hp? NO WAY!" My B21 turns a 54" rotovator fine, just slower ground speed.The HST is a great equalizer and we all should agree any tractor can be humbled by too large an implement. IMHO, my B21 would handle a 60" 3pt 2 stage SB. I will email Kubota and get their opinion. Thanx for your thoughts.Regards--Tinman236

Boakley--Thanx for your conparision-The outside rear tire width of my Kubota B21 measured 54", making a 54" wide blower a tad narrow, although a better fit for the rated HP. Without adding sidewings on a 54"er, a60" wide unit is my next choice. "Ya gotta rung what ya brung" Regards Tinman236

KennyV--I measured the outside width of my rear tires of my B21 at 54". The only way to increase my PTO hp is to buy a more powerful tractor. It is what it is. Regards Tinman236

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #15  
Tinman236,

Based on my experience with a local Kubota rep they will tell you the 60" blower is too much. They told me the 72" on an L3130 would be too much even though the earlier attachment list had it as an option. Later documents recommended units that were narrower than the tire width. (That will never work favorably). Having a wider blower is beneficial when making turns and getting under mail boxes.

In real life I couldn't be happier with a wider than recommend blower. I simply slow down a bit, but most of the time I'm in Medium and regulate from there.

What's the worse case if you buy a 60"? If the snow is too deep/wet for the blower you can always use the front end loader. Go for the 60" and don't look back!!!

As others recommended, make certain the weight doesn't exceed the 3-pt lift capacity.

Good luck

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #16  
I have a B7500 HST that I run a Snowmachine's model 300E 60" blower. It easily handled the recent Nor'Easter here in NH with a 26-30" snow cover. Get the 60" blower, move slowly if necessary, and enjoy. A cab is a must, unless you want to look like Frosty the Snowman! :)

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #17  
Snowblower 006.jpg

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #18  
Boakley--Thanx for your conparision-The outside rear tire width of my Kubota B21 measured 54", making a 54" wide blower a tad narrow, although a better fit for the rated HP. Without adding sidewings on a 54"er, a60" wide unit is my next choice. "Ya gotta rung what ya brung" Regards Tinman236

my yardsite is flat and realy for me the 60" works perfectly fine. Tires are not loaded and I sometimes wish the tractor was heavier to help with the steering. In those cases when I feel I can not turn into a pile or direction as strongly as I wish I simply let out a little sigh, pull forward, correct the angle and go at it again. Straight line mid rpm in 12" of snow is a no issue. and engine has never showed any signs of bogging.

I also have the upgraded 4 blade fan that takes a litle more to turn than the 3 blade version, chute is manual, no cab on the tractor so like another member says I come out after a few hours of blowing looking like frosty the snowman. Snomo helmut and suit is all the protection I have and at -20 it is enough but not luxery thats for sure.

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #19  
Wheelbase is never a problem, except maybe for turning...
For doing snow the wheelbase, length will not be a consideration... The Track, Width, will be more important and on that small tractor should be around 40"... Get a 48 inch blower and love it. There will be times, (Wet or Deep snow) will even overload a 48"... KennyV
Sorry wrong choice of words, what I meant was width of tires but after checking the data, I see it is actually about 54 inches wide which still applies to my post of needing something 60" to be wider than his tractor. 54" blower would be a tad too narrow and would always put on wheel in the snow turning it to pack ice. If you could make them on a sliding tract like some of the tillers it would work for all but first pass, but I still think a 60" would work, just have to go slower OR after first pass just don't take the full 60" if it is bogging the engine. I feel the same applies to bush hogs, why put a 48" one behind your tractor if 90% or your mowing you could pull a 72", if it gets too heavy you can overlap but if light use the full capacity.

/ Is a 60"wide rear mount PTO SB too big? #20  
Another thing to consider is the width of your FEL bucket, If it's a 60" then that's another reason to want a 60" blower.

I'm with the rest, you want a 60". 54's are the same price anyway and less useful later if you upgrade your tractor.