Box Scraper Is a box blade a good idea for my needs?

/ Is a box blade a good idea for my needs?
My wife and I went to the "Home and Garden Show" in Moncton this morning and met our Kioti tractor dealer who had a display at the show. We bought a 6 ft BB, a 6ft medium duty Kodiac rotary cutter and also a log splitter to hook up to my tractor. He will be delivering the goods on Tuesday for me. Thanks to all of you for helping me decide on a box blade. I can hardly wait to hook it up. :D

/ Is a box blade a good idea for my needs? #22  
coolslug said:
I asked my dealer about getting a toothbar and he suggested that I buy another bucket with teeth instead. He said the tooth bars break. Have you heard of these things breaking? :confused: Are they hard to install?

I would not go the route your dealer recommended. A good tooth bar is very stout, and actually helps protect the leading edge of your bucket (even if it does not cover the cutting edge, it helps stiffen it). I've never had a problem with mine, and I've worked it pretty hard. Even if you did break a tooth, most can be replaced (some might take some welding to do so). Do not go with the teeth that just bolt on to your bucket. This is a light duty set-up. Without the bar, you don't have anything extra stiffening your bucket lip.

The toothbar is easy to install. There are two "ears" which stick up from the sides of it with holes or slots in them. You drill one hole in each side or your bucket to match, and bolt it on. Properly installed, the bolts are not load bearing... they just keep the toothbar from falling off when you tilt forward. Once you have the holes, it's a two minute job to install or remove the toothbar.

A couple of tips:
(1) Use a hole-saw, rather than a solid drill bit to drill the holes (I forget if mine used 3/4" or 1" bolts). I was able to cut both sides with my 18v cordless drill on one battery, and still have juice left in the battery... a holesaw make sit a pretty quick and painless operation.
(2) It's better to have the tooth bar a bit narrower than the inside width of your bucket (even 1/2" or more is not too much). Mine fits snugly, and this makes for a bit more grunting and "persuading" to get it on and off. A loose fit pops right in and out, once the bolts are removed. You can always take up some of the gap with washers, if needed.
(3) The teeth, or in some designs even the whole bar, wrap around the cutting edge of your bucket. You want to drill your holes in such a manner that this wrapped edge or wrapped tooth is what bears the load when digging, not the bolts themselves.
(4) Some toothbars have elongated slots on the "ears" for the bolts to go through. If you are lucky, you can set the bolt holes towards the front of these slots (but stil pay attention to #3 above). If the slots are long enough, you can loosen the bolts, pull the toothbar forward, and then flip it up and into the bucket without removing the bolts. The bucket isn't worth much for scooping this way, but it is a quick way to switch back and for from toothbar digging to having a smooth edge on your bucket for back dragging.

John Mc

John Mc, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed explaination regarding the tooth bar. I didn't know that it will be so easy to attach and remove when I need to. I am definately going to order a tooth bar rather than consider a whole new bucket. You just saved me a bunch of cash and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Don

/ Is a box blade a good idea for my needs? #24  
coolslug said:
I asked my dealer about getting a toothbar and he suggested that I buy another bucket with teeth instead. He said the tooth bars break. Have you heard of these things breaking? :confused: Are they hard to install?
Tooth bars hold up very well. No need to spend the extra $$ for another bucket.
Easy to install/remove, only takes a few minutes. They slip over the leading edge of the bucket with a bolt on each side of the bucket to hold them in place.

/ Is a box blade a good idea for my needs? #25  
Glad I could help. Most of the tips I included came from other posts here on TBN. Unfortunately, I only knew about #'s 1 & 3 when I installed mine.

John Mc

/ Is a box blade a good idea for my needs? #27  
Cool,
Welcome and Congrats.

it's moot. Every comment you've read from our TBN brethern has been on the mark for my experience. Course....they're smarter than this displaced hillbilly.

The boxblade will pay dividends in winter snow, also. At some point, should you decide to, the TBN advice about T&T rigging will only be a force-multiplier for your BB. You just bought a year-round implement.

Well done, best of luck.
v/r mark

Thanks Houndsman. I think my new BB is going to get plenty of use around here. I'm looking into the T&T option but it might be a while before I spend anymore money on my tractor. I'll wait until I've had some practice with the implaments that I just bought and then I'll probably take the plunge for T&T.

Take care,
Don

/ Is a box blade a good idea for my needs? #29  
Coolslug,

When looking at toothbars, you should peruse those from Markham welding at:
Markham Welding - Home

They seem to be well liked by others here at TBN, and now that I own one, I'd have to agree. Very easy to mount and remove, strengthens the lip of my bucket, and is one SOLID tool. Between it and my box blade, I've moved many yards of soil on my little farm.

Regarding "pasture leveling" with the box blade, it can definitely be done. But keep in mind that you'll be ripping out sod as you go. As the sod and soil moves to fill in the low spots, you'll be left with plenty of bare ground that may need to be reseeded.

Best of luck,
KVMAPR