Tractor Sizing Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL?

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #1  

crazydrum95

Tractor
Bobcat S175 Skid Steer
Hi,

Looking at a great deal on a used JD 4400. Wanting to know, would it be big enough to lift large square and round bales on its FEL? Its a little less HP than I intended at only 35 but its a great deal, would be excellent for getting into the tighter spots.

Cheers

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #2  
I don't know about the large square bales but you'd be on-the-edge for round bales. With the rounds you'd need to go slow-&-low plus have ballast on the rear.

What FEL does it have?

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #3  
Short answer no. Long answer No and here is why, Depending on the dimensions large square and round bales can range from about 550 to 2000 lbs. (See here for details http://beeffax.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/2012-Bale-weight-how-important-is-it-Banta-E-319-.pdf)

I have a 4400 and I imagine it would likely handle bales on the smallest end of the range with counterweight, filled tires, etc. , but mid-sized or large would not work. Don't forget it's not just the weight a round bale on a spear puts weight way out in front of the normal bucket attachment point. This increase in leverage really reduces the lifting capacity of the loader and negatively effects the weight distribution of the tractor. Not sure what other uses you have in mind for the machine, but if handling bales is the primary use you might want to consider a skid loader. It would make a far more maneuverable machine.

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #4  
Front axles of that size tractor won't stand a steady diet of that work, and it really doesn't matter what brand of tractor is being discussed.

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #5  
Short answer no. Long answer No and here is why, Depending on the dimensions large square and round bales can range from about 550 to 2000 lbs. (See here for details http://beeffax.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/2012-Bale-weight-how-important-is-it-Banta-E-319-.pdf)

I have a 4400 and I imagine it would likely handle bales on the smallest end of the range with counterweight, filled tires, etc. , but mid-sized or large would not work. Don't forget it's not just the weight a round bale on a spear puts weight way out in front of the normal bucket attachment point. This increase in leverage really reduces the lifting capacity of the loader and negatively effects the weight distribution of the tractor. Not sure what other uses you have in mind for the machine, but if handling bales is the primary use you might want to consider a skid loader. It would make a far more maneuverable machine.
While others make good points, there's nothing like a reply from an actual owner speaking with real life experience. I would heed his advice. :thumbsup:

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #6  
What is can do and what it should do are two different ratings.

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #7  
My just tried to unload a one ton skid of wood pellets with lifting forks attached to the bucket of my 4400. No Way!! Had to unload almost half of the skid to pick and carry the pallet. So mine will only move about 1000lbs hanging off the front of the bucket with lifting forks. I thought it would do better, wonder how big a tractor I would need to move a ton with those lifting forks? BTW - I did put the 5ft bush hog on for ballast but I dont think that was a real issue as the rear of the tractor was wanting to come up. The hyd.s were just not picking up the load.

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #8  
2000# lift capacity at the end of the bucket? That's typical of a utility sized 5000# tractor. Your 4400 is a fine tractor. It is just not designed for that big of a load.

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #9  
2000# lift capacity at the end of the bucket? That's typical of a utility sized 5000# tractor. Your 4400 is a fine tractor. It is just not designed for that big of a load.

yep i move squares with my grapple and stack up to 3 high, tractor set up when moving them is about 8300lbs.
plus the bale weight- It does the job OK a bit more weight and loader would be ideal.

I wouldn't want anything smaller or lighter for stabilitys sake. What does a JD4400 with loader and grapple or forks with ballast weigh?

When I was looking into JDs knowing moving large squares was in the future- I REALLY REALLY wanted a 5420 that would have been my choice- but want and what a person can afford are usually different things.

/ Is a JD 4400 capable of lifting large square and round bales on a FEL? #10  
My just tried to unload a one ton skid of wood pellets with lifting forks attached to the bucket of my 4400. No Way!! Had to unload almost half of the skid to pick and carry the pallet. So mine will only move about 1000lbs hanging off the front of the bucket with lifting forks. I thought it would do better, wonder how big a tractor I would need to move a ton with those lifting forks? BTW - I did put the 5ft bush hog on for ballast but I dont think that was a real issue as the rear of the tractor was wanting to come up. The hyd.s were just not picking up the load.

Mate, I don't know how much experience you have with tractors but, attached forks to a bucket is asking too much.

First, you've got the weight of the forks + the weight of the bucket + the weight of the quick-attachment mechanism to the FEL (unless it's directly attached). That is a lot of weight that needs to be subtracted from your lifting capacity 'at the pins'.

Then you have to take into consideration how far out the forks extend from the bucket = farther out is even less lifting capacity.

The only way to increase your lift is to get a dedicated forks attachment.