Mowing Is a Mid-Deck Mower Right for my Application?

/ Is a Mid-Deck Mower Right for my Application? #1  

Don_Curley

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910 HST
I live on 7 acres, of which approximately 2.5 acres is relatively level with "agricultural" grass (which came along with the unimproved land as previous grazing land for a high-desert cattle ranch). The grass is pretty tuff stuff and tends to grow in large tufted masses (so we are not talking about some perfectly level, manicured residential-type lawn). Over the last several years, I have been using a 60" Agri-Bee 5 brush hog on my B2910 HST to cut the grass (and weeds) down on an annual basis in the fall. What this has done is to stimulate the grass growth and it has filled in rather nicely. While we don't plan to get involved in a lot of maintenance work to make the grass into a lawn per se, we would nevertheless like to use it as basic ground cover.

Since the brush hog is a bit of a stretch for routine grass mowing purposes, I am beginning to think that I should consider getting either a 60" or 72" mid-deck mower for my B2910. However, as I mentioned above, since this is tough agricultural type grass, it often grows in some pretty big tufts, and the underlying ground is not perfectly level ... will I be asking too much from such a mower implement? I obviously don't want to go to the cost and trouble of getting such a mower only to find that it's not a match for the job at hand.

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations on this, I would sure appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Don

/ Is a Mid-Deck Mower Right for my Application? #2  
Don,

I just recently bought a used B7510 with a 60" MMM the belly hung Turf Special setup. The land I mow is about 2 acres that is partly old orchard partly old field. I was concerned about the high spots in the dirt and heavy field grass bogging down the mower and such but I was surprised. When I hit some bumps and didn't raise the mower on time I just started blowing dust and dirt out the side but the mower/ engine didn't seem to be bothered the least. I do not know what RPM a regular lawn mower blades turn but it seems that the blades on the Kubota are turning slower because when I hit a small pile of rocks (stupid me) next to the garden they didn't chew up the blades as they did on my previous lawnmowing equipment. All in all I think you would have vast amout of power to get the mower through your grass and eventually little-by-little level out the high spots. the grass you are cutting is probably very much different from what I have here in Maine, I just though I'd describe my experience.
good luck
easygo

/ Is a Mid-Deck Mower Right for my Application? #3  
I too cut about 2.5 acres of field grass in a recently developed area (for future homes). It's a typical field that has bumps and semi-rough terrain. I use a 60" MMM to cut it down about every other week. Works very well for my needs. I'd think you'll be good with a 60", unless you feel that you want to cover more ground in less time with a 72". I went with a 60" to allow a bit more versatility in the (lesser) width, for use on other areas that I mow. The machine itself will cut the grass quite nicely, especially after you cut it down a few times. I run my machine (B7800) around 2200 RPM and it never struggles. I have noticed that it doesn't like damp grass very well, but none-the-less, it works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 182
   / Is a Mid-Deck Mower Right for my Application?
easygo said:
Don,

I just recently bought a used B7510 with a 60" MMM the belly hung Turf Special setup. The land I mow is about 2 acres that is partly old orchard partly old field. I was concerned about the high spots in the dirt and heavy field grass bogging down the mower and such but I was surprised. When I hit some bumps and didn't raise the mower on time I just started blowing dust and dirt out the side but the mower/ engine didn't seem to be bothered the least. I do not know what RPM a regular lawn mower blades turn but it seems that the blades on the Kubota are turning slower because when I hit a small pile of rocks (stupid me) next to the garden they didn't chew up the blades as they did on my previous lawnmowing equipment. All in all I think you would have vast amout of power to get the mower through your grass and eventually little-by-little level out the high spots. the grass you are cutting is probably very much different from what I have here in Maine, I just though I'd describe my experience.
good luck
easygo

Well, that's pretty much was what I was hoping to hear. Between the field grass tufts and some high & low spots in the terrain, I need something that can get the job done while dealing with those issues as well, so a MMM maybe just what I need.

Thanks

crbr said:
I too cut about 2.5 acres of field grass in a recently developed area (for future homes). It's a typical field that has bumps and semi-rough terrain. I use a 60" MMM to cut it down about every other week. Works very well for my needs. I'd think you'll be good with a 60", unless you feel that you want to cover more ground in less time with a 72". I went with a 60" to allow a bit more versatility in the (lesser) width, for use on other areas that I mow. The machine itself will cut the grass quite nicely, especially after you cut it down a few times. I run my machine (B7800) around 2200 RPM and it never struggles. I have noticed that it doesn't like damp grass very well, but none-the-less, it works fine.

Looking at your photo, my field grass is a lot less civilized looking (much more bunchy and tufted). However, it's still sounding good for the use of a MMM. In terms of size, I like the idea of covering more ground per pass with the 72" version, however, something tells me to not overdo it and stick with a 60" (and most of my other implements are 60" versions as well).

At this point, I plan to contact my "local" Kubota dealer (6+ hour round trip from my location), to see what kind of pricing I can get on a 60" MMM.

Thanks

/ Is a Mid-Deck Mower Right for my Application? #6  
I have a 72" MMM for my B2910. It works very well on field grass. Power will not be a problem. The added width will allow you to cut 2 acres in less than 1 hour. I always run at PTO speed and mid range. The blades on the B series MMM's are heavy duty. They will hold up to quite a bit of abuse. Including leveling uneven ground. :eek:
If you have been cutting this area with a Rotary Cutter. Once it has be cut down to lawn height you should have no problems with either size MMM.

ronjhall said:
I have a 72" MMM for my B2910. It works very well on field grass. Power will not be a problem. The added width will allow you to cut 2 acres in less than 1 hour. I always run at PTO speed and mid range. The blades on the B series MMM's are heavy duty. They will hold up to quite a bit of abuse. Including leveling uneven ground. :eek:
If you have been cutting this area with a Rotary Cutter. Once it has be cut down to lawn height you should have no problems with either size MMM.

Well, since you have a B2910 with the 72" MMM, I will definitely consider that over the 60". And the "leveling uneven ground" feature definitely appeals to me. :D

/ Is a Mid-Deck Mower Right for my Application? #8  
Don_Curley said:
Well, since you have a B2910 with the 72" MMM, I will definitely consider that over the 60". And the "leveling uneven ground" feature definitely appeals to me. :D
Just looked at your location. Drove within a couple miles of your place in April. On our way to Ogden after visiting Moab. What a great place for scenery.
One last note: Neither the 60" or 72" are made to cut down Utah rocks.:D

ronjhall said:
Just looked at your location. Drove within a couple miles of your place in April. On our way to Ogden after visiting Moab. What a great place for scenery.
One last note: Neither the 60" or 72" are made to cut down Utah rocks.:D

Yes, it is very scenic indeed around here (but isolated).

I must say that I am disappointed about the lack of rock crushing capabilities for the MMM's, however, I can make up for that with my brush hog. ;)