Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power?

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
Is a subcompact under 25hp engine enough power to maintain a under 15 acre property where the tasks are mowing w/ mid mower, finish mower, brush hogging, stump grinding, hole digging, box blade and typical loader work?

I have owned a 35hp and 50hp so I'm a little uneasy getting a under 24hp.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #2  
I mean, itll do that stuff. Just with smaller implements.

I personally wouldn't mess around with something that small if you have more than an acre or so to mow.

Will you be willing to make more loader trips to do a job ?

Drag or 4 or 5 ft box blade VS. 6ft or bigger ?

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #3  
It well do the jobs your asking just little longer in time,and not as roomy on the seat also less heavier.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #5  
I have owned a 35hp and 50hp so I'm a little uneasy getting an under 24hp {subcompact} tractor.

Is a subcompact under 25hp engine enough power to maintain a under 15 acre property where the tasks are mowing w/ mid mower, finish mower, brush hogging, stump grinding, hole digging, box blade and typical loader work?

These are pretty heavy duty tractor applications. I do not think the limited strength in the thin steel of subcompact tractors is likely to promote tractor reliability nor longevity.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR

Last edited:
   / Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #6  
I do agree on the it can be done, but in more time than it would take for a larger tractor. Having five acres and a "compact" 26 horse tractor myself, I can admit that having a 33 horse or so, would have made some tasks quicker and provided the additional weight for completing some tasks with more ease.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power?
I do agree on the it can be done, but in more time than it would take for a larger tractor. Having five acres and a "compact" 26 horse tractor myself, I can admit that having a 33 horse or so, would have made some tasks quicker and provided the additional weight for completing some tasks with more ease.
I'm now leaning towards the same thoughts. I don't think I would be happy trying to do everything with a subcompact even though it can be done but with smaller implements/attachments and longer work time.

As they say ... buying a tractor can be a journey.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #8  
I have 40 acres and with a rear finish mower cut 3 acres every 10 days or so all summer, and brushhog (48 in) a couple other acres of fields and even some trails a few times each year. AND snowblow all winter. I do it with a 26 subcompact that is now 16 yrs old. Regular maintenance, . It's light weight means no damaged lawns and can drive on septic bed. And it sips diesel fuel so cheap on pocketbook. Only disadvantage is small wheels and some traction issues on my clay. IF I were to do it again I might chose the B26 instead of BX26. But Hp no problem for all my many rear implements.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #9  
25hp on 15 acres. There are some smaller frame 48hp units on the market that would be powerful and not too large.

Is a mid mount mower a requirement? That would be limiting. Is that to mow the lawn, or just acreage? If lawn, then, yeah, you'd need a subcompact to not destroy the lawn.

HP is nice for PTO or ground engaging work, and 25hp seems too little. Other work like box blading could benefit from weight, which you only find in a couple large frame 25hp units. But, weight while nice for some work, would be a real negative for other work. This is why I stick to a ZTR for the lawn, and a tractor for the field.

I'd feel really limited with a 25hp unit, and I only have 8 acres we "farm". But I really like to swing a 72" tiller, and soon flail.

Last edited:
   / Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #10  
Yes it is. l did all that with 22 hp. Even cut, raked and baled hay. Some are uneasy about the weight effect on loader work. That's why they make weight boxes. I'd forget about a mid-mount mower. Hard to put on & off, in the way for ground clearance, blade changing is a pain unless you remove it. Ever wonder why so many are for sale on F.B. ?

I recommend a separate grass/lawn cutter: front mount or zero turn diesel and your 25 h.p. diesel will do the rest, including a sufficient pto house generator. Only 1 fuel source type. Chances are the 25 hp machine will fit in your garage.