Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy?

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #1  

trook

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5075E Cab
I am considering a Kubota 7060 or JD 5075E cab 4x4 tractor. I need help from y'all to determine whether or not a JD MX-8 or Bush Hog 3008 3-point rotary cutter will require the FEL to remain on the tractor to counterbalance and ensure enough weight is on the front of the tractor.

I want the ability to remove the FEL while transporting on a trailer but still have the 8-ft cutter on the rear. I want to make sure I have enough weight on the front to steer effectively so that the "tail does not wag the dog". Weights up front are out of the question because, from what I understand, you can't have a FEL and weights and I intend to keep the FEL on the tractor unless I am transporting it (which will occur every 4-6 weeks).

The other day, I experimented with a JD 5075E cab and MX-6 cutter, and the tractor had enough weight up front. However, they didn't have a MX-8 for me to try. The MX-8 weighs about 500 lbs more than the mx-6.

These tractors weigh approximately 5,500lbs without the FEL or loaded tires.

Thanks.

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #2  
an mx-8 is not to big but you are going to want front weights just for insurance. I run an mx-10 off the back of my 5083E and I won't run it without the loader on. I haven't tried it with weights yet since its handy having the loader on to push stuff out of the way.

Also, You can have either a loader or front weights just not both at the same time. The weight bracket stays on the tractor and you just remove the suitcase weights prior to installing the loader.

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #3  
I carry a JD M1008 (10') with my M9540. I hate cutting with FEL on as I'm normally cutting around stuff and in tight spots. I built a weight rack and carry 840lbs of suitcase weights. It's not useable without the weights. My tractor's shipping weight is 5500lbs.

I take a LOT of pictures, but just realized I don't have any of the tractor carrying the cutter or of the weight rack with weights on.

Have you considered a semi-mount or pull-type cutter? I can't use one in my conditions, but maybe you can??

Edit: Forgot to mention. My Brother has a 20' pull-type Bush Hog. I can pull it and make good time unless trying to cut heavy wet grass short, then I gotta gear down a little. The tractor's you are looking at would handle a 15' pull-type.

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #4  
Pretty much along the lines of what ovrszd said, we have used/use 3PH and pull type. We went with a 10' pull type for our main cutter, haven't used the 10' 3PH in years. With the 10' 3PH, we have to have FEL and don't want to bother with weights.

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #5  
I run a 7' Frontier RC2084 cutter (1100lbs) on the back of a 5075E.
With the FEL off the front of the tractor , you can sort of feel it back there if fully raised with zero weight on the mowers rear wheel, but not too bad. Maybe I could get the tractor to wheelie if I really tried in a high gear, but not enough that I seriously considered buying front end weights for it or even think about it when the mower/wheel is touching the ground. Instead I consider mowing w/ bucket or forks on to lift the big branches/obstacles that I inevitably encounter when mowing field edges.

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #6  
And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a 7' 3pt cutter would exert almost as much leverage on the tractor as an 8'. Reason being a 7' is generally a single spindle so is generally longer from the 3pt to the tail wheel as an 8' which is dual spindle. I think that longer design would almost offset the difference in weight.

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #7  
And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a 7' 3pt cutter would exert almost as much leverage on the tractor as an 8'. Reason being a 7' is generally a single spindle so is generally longer from the 3pt to the tail wheel as an 8' which is dual spindle. I think that longer design would almost offset the difference in weight.

I think your on to something there. I don't have any numbers to justify it but I would agree with you. Only thing you have to be careful of is comparing a light duty to a heavier duty mower.

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #8  
Bushhog lists the 3008 cutter about 30# lighter than the 307 cutter.

Yes typically a twin spindle 8' cutter is going to exert less load on the tractor than single 7' cuter.

A 7' cutter has to be roughly 7' x 7' which is 49 sq ft minimum of deck. With the center being roughly 42" behind the hitch.

An 8' cutter only needs to be 8' x 4' which is a 32sq ft deck. And centered only 24" behind the tractor.

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy? #9  
I am considering a Kubota 7060 or JD 5075E cab 4x4 tractor. I need help from y'all to determine whether or not a JD MX-8 or Bush Hog 3008 3-point rotary cutter will require the FEL to remain on the tractor to counterbalance and ensure enough weight is on the front of the tractor.

I want the ability to remove the FEL while transporting on a trailer but still have the 8-ft cutter on the rear. I want to make sure I have enough weight on the front to steer effectively so that the "tail does not wag the dog". Weights up front are out of the question because, from what I understand, you can't have a FEL and weights and I intend to keep the FEL on the tractor unless I am transporting it (which will occur every 4-6 weeks).

The other day, I experimented with a JD 5075E cab and MX-6 cutter, and the tractor had enough weight up front. However, they didn't have a MX-8 for me to try. The MX-8 weighs about 500 lbs more than the mx-6.

These tractors weigh approximately 5,500lbs without the FEL or loaded tires.

Thanks.

Our experience is that most twin gearbox 8 ft cutters will streak in the center when lifted a little to clipping height. A 7 or 10 ft does not have that inherent problem. Ken Sweet

/ Is an 8ft 3 point brush cutter to heavy?
Ken,

I'm not sure what you mean whey you say "streak". Do you mean they leave uncut grass once the cutter reaches a certain height? The two cutters I am considering are the JD MX-8 and Bush Hog 3008.