Is anyone using the Flail Cutter Attachment

/ Is anyone using the Flail Cutter Attachment #11  
mouse said:
ken, can you point me at some such references?

i guess part of it does depend on what type of flail you are running.

our local occupational health & safety literature indicates a fair risk of injury with a flail especially if proper guarding on machines is not used. one example is a guy using a flail on a tractor, the flail was arm mounted and offset and he had the tractor door open for whatever reason. the mower flicked a piece of wire at him which pierced his heart.

the rotary type mower may throw things just as hard but the direction of throw is horizontal.

don't get me wrong, i'm very curious bout flails but my research leads me to concur with what i originally posted in this thread.

further thoughts?

Could you cite a reference...because the only NIOSH death that was related to a flail mower was a crushing injury... NIOSH FACE Program: Michigan Case Report 03MI098 | CDC/NIOSH

/ Is anyone using the Flail Cutter Attachment #12  
Flail mowers are safer than rotary mowers, no doubt.
The vertical rotary axis of cutting over the length of the cutter (Up into the mower deck, back into the deck, down into the ground or out into the expected plane of ejection) of a flail yields much less distance thown than the concentrated ejection of a brush cutter (out the right side with conter-clockwise rotation or out the left side of the deck with clockwise rotation) due to the horizantal cutting plane of a rotary cutter.
I have inadvertantly thrown rocks a considerable distance with my rotary cutter and may trade up to a flail cutter in the future due to this. Friends with flail cutters rarely see debris being thrown more than a few feet from their units...

/ Is anyone using the Flail Cutter Attachment #13  
Toolcat with flail video....it looks like the debris is pretty well controlled.