Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you!

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #1  

Shawk

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520
Looking to pick up a bigger trailer for my tractor and other stuff. My current trailer (H & H 6 x 12) is the perfect trailer for everything I need except for a tractor hauler. I rarely tow my 2305 anywhere but when I do, it's typically just with the mower or snowblower so my trailer has served me well to this point. However it's time for something bigger for times I want to load it up with tractor, loader, tiller or whatever else. I want to buy something big enough for a bigger tractor down the road if I decide to go that route. Tow vehicle is a Honda Pilot. ;)
So here are my questions... thank you btw!!

1) Heartland trailers anyone? Haven't seen 'em in person... but will probably make a short drive to buy one unless I'm persuaded otherwise.

2) Decided to go with a 16' tandem upgrade over my current 12' single... I found out the dealer will sell me an 18' tandem for another $100... sounds good to me other than he said the weight is less than 100lbs diferent. Silly, but is there any reason why I would want to stick with the 16' (trailer strength, ect)? Both have brakes on one axel. If not, I'll probably end up with the 18' now.

3) I know this is personal preference... but he has car trailers without sides and utility with angle iron sides... what have you found most useful for anything? I've always had sides on mine... could add my own removable of course at an additional cost to me. I'm thinking utility over car.

4) Tilt vs rear gate vs ramp.... one trailer had sides that come off and double as ramps... sounds like an OK idea... but I'm leaning toward 1st rear gate then 2nd towards tilt.

*Edit* btw... these are not extremely heavy trailers... they have 3500 axels (7000lb total) and come in around 1600-1800lbs.

All the best!

Last edited:
   / Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #2  
I've never heard someone wish they had a smaller trailer for their "tractor and other stuff."

Some trailers with the angle iron side frames have a relatively weak floor for the concentrated weight of a tractor. I think I would would prefer a car trailer and then add sides.

Bruce

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you!
Thanks Bruce... that was my thought with the extra 2' not being a plus if it hinders the overall strength of the trailer. It'll be something I'll probably not know until I see 'em up close. ;)

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #4  
I have had an 18 foot flatbed for years. I can't tell you how many times I've realized that the extra 2 feet was making the difference between "can and can't" get the job done, and with additional ease/safety.I like the sides, gives you places to chain a tractor down, and other stuff.

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #5  
For another $100 you would be foolish not to go bigger. 16 foot trailers are a dime a dozen. 18 and 20 footers are tough to find. I have a 18 footer that I bought new in 2004 and a guy offered me $300 more than I paid for it last year. I looked around and they have gone up so much I could not replace it for that so I held on to it.

Mine has a rail around it and thats what I like. Others like no rail. No right or wrong here. I would stay away from a gate. It limits the length you can haul. For example I hulled 20' lumber the other day. They are also not up to the task for much more than a UTV. Most tractors or cars will bend them up pretty quick.

Chris

Thanks guys! I wondered about the gates... the one I'm looking at looks reinforced pretty good from the pics... but would you suggest ramps instead? I thought I could go with the gate for now and always get ramps later.... cheaper to get the gate now then later. I would think for my 2305/loader/tiller the ramp would be fine... ?

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #7  
I just sold my (almost new) 18' footer... too short for me. My next one will be a 20' or 22' straight deck. I could not even imagine getting by with a 16'.

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #8  
I really like having brakes on all 4 wheels. I had two wheels of brakes on my 16' trailer. When I bent the non-brakes axle I replaced it with an axle with brakes. It is nice to have enough brakes on the trailer to stop the trailer without any significant extra brake effort on the tow vehicle.

/ Is bigger really better 16' vs 18'? Also, Heartland trailers OK? Thank you! #9  
Ummm, did I miss the part where you said the Honda Pilot tow vehicle was just you joking around? That will be your limit more than anything. I doubt it is rated for even a 7k trailer... Does it even have a trailer brake controller?

Irrespective of the tow vehicle, I have a 16' and I really wish it was 20' or more. 18' would be better but not enough, IMHO. Don't know the size of your tractor, but I suspect it is similar to a Kubota B series, so you will be fine in any case for now. When you upgrade in size (as you indicated), you will be hurting with even 18'.

Great info... thanks guys. ;)

Dave... too funny (my Honda Pilot). Wasn't kidding but my tractor is just a little guy (JD2305) and within my towing limits. :)