Is five hours alot for one stump???

/ Is five hours alot for one stump??? #1  

glmf

Silver Member
Tractor
CK20HST
I won! Quite a workout for me and the CK20 but that bugger is finally out of the ground. Not sure how I am going to get it to my dump area, as I don't think I will be able to lift it with the loader, but I'll figure something out. All the roots were cut with the backhoe, just catching the outside tooth on them and curling, worked very well. On to the next one

Attachments

• stump3.JPG
    stump3.JPG
    932.5 KB · Views: 1,027
   / Is five hours alot for one stump???
and seeing how you guys like pics, heres a few more,,,

Attachments

• stump4.JPG
    stump4.JPG
    944.8 KB · Views: 871
can you believe all the rocks and ledge, if this was clean soil, this would be easy

/ Is five hours alot for one stump??? #4  
That's a big ugly stump! The house blocked a couple of digging angles and it would've taken me five hours or more too. Thanks for the pics :)

Is the dump area close enough to drag it there?

/ Is five hours alot for one stump??? #5  
Congratulations!!!

Looks like a pretty massive stump!!! I know that when you start on them, it's hard to believe how hard it can be, or how long it takes, but if you stick with it, they always come out!!!

Thanks for the pictures,
Eddie

/ Is five hours alot for one stump??? #6  
Nice job gmlf. I'm sure glad my soil doesn't resemble yours;that has to be tough on the hoe, teeth and hydraulics :eek: I just had four 24"-30" oak stumps ground out.They were on the side lawn and I didn't want to tear up the landscape digging them and I still haven't got the 9" bucket I ordered, which would have made the job fesible:mad:

Thanks for the replies guys. Patches, I take it easy on the hardware, seems with rpm's around 1800, movements are less jerky and still good power. I am really surprised with the power of the hoe for a small unit. Took my time and was careful, that means getting on and off the tractor alot. But getting better on the controls and feel the next one will come out quicker. Will definately hardface the teeth on the bucket as well as the toothbar that I made. It is unbelievable how much ledge and rocks are around here, you cannot make one scoop without bringing up rocks or hitting ledge.

/ Is five hours alot for one stump??? #8  
glmf said:
Is five hours alot for one stump???

Oh heck no, come on over, I've got a few that will probably take 4X as much.

/ Is five hours alot for one stump??? #9  
5 hours sounds about right for such a large stump and with little angles to work from. With more practice, you could probably cut it to 3 hours, but why complain, it's out! Great Pics!

I really need a toothbar...

/ Is five hours alot for one stump??? #10  
I agree with Dmace. At first I though 5 hours was a lot but that is a pretty durn big stump and if you were dealing with rock ledges while digging then it could easily take 5 hours. I haven't needed more than 90 minutes or so to get pretty big stumps out (not quite as big as yours but still too big to lift) but I work in primarily sandy soil.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to fabricate a special root cutter like a subsoiler that could be quickly attached and detached from the hoe bucket itself as I find I waste a lot of time digging out roots that I am sure I could slice through with a single 12" long tine.