Is Howse disc good?

/ Is Howse disc good? #1  

mtsman

Bronze Member
Tractor
F16D, F22D
Just bought a new Yanmar and we are getting ready to plant some clover in a field that has not been planted in 20 years. (It has been cut as grass but not cultivated in 20 years) I think I need a disc to start the process. The disc will only be used to plant about 2 acres and does not need to be top of the line. I can get a Howse disc with 16 blades that are 16" in diameter (2 rows of 8) with ball bearings and adjustable front discs for about $675 shipped from Missouri to my door in PA. Does anyone have one? I think this is a good price. Comments? Opinions?

I have gone to 2 auctions looking for a used one, but all I'm finding are huge discs and ones that need work. I do not want to buy someone else's problems.

/ Is Howse disc good? #2  
Howse isn't a bad disc to buy but you're not going to cut up that field with it. You would need at least a 12' hydraulic disc to even think about that job or if you plow it first you MIGHT be able to get that disc through it but I don't think so.

/ Is Howse disc good?
Cowboydoc,

I am a total greenhorn when it comes to farming. All that farming knowledge left when Grandpa passed away. I am great with business but need to start from scratch with farming.

I was leaning towards a disc only because that't the first thing I see the local farmers using in the spring. Can you recommend a plow? My tractor is 4wd, 16 PTO horsepower Yanmar with a Category 1. I do not need the top of the line. Just something to use to plant about 2-3 acres of clover for the deer. I would like to max out at about 500# and 4 feet across.

Maybe a plow is better. Would it be more multipurpose than a disc? Is a 4 foot plow too big? Comments. Opinions? I am going to the local ag office this week to talk and learn.

/ Is Howse disc good? #4  
With that tractor I would get a sodbuster or one bottom plow. Same thing different name. Basically it just looks like one single plow. Now it will take a while but you will be able to get he sod broke up with it. Then you can go over it with a 4 ft. disc to break it up some more. For what you want to do I would just spread the seed after that, harrow it real good and see what grows. If you can water it. If no way to get water to it make darn sure you plant about right now or in the next month to get adequate spring rain. If you can get to it until summer just wait until fall and plant it.

/ Is Howse disc good?
Thanks for the advice doc. That sounds simple enough. I can follow those instructions. I may even look into renting the plow since I may only need it this once for the first groundbreaking in over 20 years.

I was planning on completing planting by April 21st. The land is in NorthCentral PA at about 2000 foot elevation. It frosts well into April and usually even May. I've seen 28 degrees on June 8th, but I bet you understand cold being from Idaho.

/ Is Howse disc good? #6  
I would just buy one. You can buy one for less than $100.

/ Is Howse disc good? #7  
I have a Howse disc. I bought it in 1999 and have used it every year. I am just a for fun farmer. My unit has cast iron axles with two grease fittings at each bearing. The disc are 16" in diameter. It works fine for $425 dollars. Depends on what you need. They have different models.

/ Is Howse disc good?
John,

Thanks.

Do you remember what model that is and how many of those 16" disc's yours has? If you go on their website (howseimplement.com) I'm looking at the D16622B. Its the "D" frame model.

How wide is your disc? I hope I can pull this with the 16pto horsepower yanmar. I might have to buy the smaller one with only 12 discs at 16" instead of 16 discs at 16".

/ Is Howse disc good? #9  
mtsman, I went home and looked up the detail. My Howse disc is the AF20622. This is a 6' unit with 20, 16" blades. I am pulling it with a Kobota L2500. This has 27 HP. Pulling is probably easier than the lifting. My disc unit weights 560 lbs. The 4' unit has 12, 16" blades and weights 423 lbs. Check your lifting specs. My dealer discounted my disc so I only paid around $450. John

/ Is Howse disc good? #10  
What about one of these? I saw one the other day at an auction but didn't see how much it went for. Kind of half way between a disc and a plough.
Anybody use one? One of the guys there said it would likely be good for cutting through willow roots at his place.
Jim W

Attachments

• 5-128223-Disc%20plough.jpg
    5-128223-Disc%20plough.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 204