Is it a 12v battery?

/ Is it a 12v battery? #1  

madhouse

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
My battery is completely dead. Im assuming its a 12 volt battery?

Last edited:
   / Is it a 12v battery? #2  
Count the number of cells and multiply by 2, that will give you the voltage.

For you purists, the type of chemistry actually determines the cell voltage and it is typically not 2 volts. A lead acid battery is about 2.2 per cell and charge state is more properly determined by specific gravity, but I haven't seen a hygrometer for many years. A fully charged 12v battery is typically around 13.8 volts.

/ Is it a 12v battery? #3  
The battery for a CT230 is a 12 volt. I got one a Rural King for about $70. Not sure that is an option were you live.

/ Is it a 12v battery?
Thanks for your help.

I walked out to "quickly" drop a round bale for the horses last night to find that the granddaughter has bumped the key on when she was crawling on it. I've never seen a battery drained enough that my meter wouldn't pick up ANY voltage before.

I was 95% sure it was a 12v system - But I made that mistake when I was a teenager - didn't want to do it again.

/ Is it a 12v battery? #5  
When it comes to replacing a battery I always suggest to measure and install the largest that fits being careful to respect the pole placement.

All to many machines have battery sizing that is 'just enough' to do the job without taking into consideration other factors such as cold weather with frequent glow plug usage.
IMHO the 5-10% extra cost will probably buy U 20-30% longer life and less frustration.

/ Is it a 12v battery? #6  
Count the number of cells and multiply by 2, that will give you the voltage.

For you purists, the type of chemistry actually determines the cell voltage and it is typically not 2 volts. A lead acid battery is about 2.2 per cell and charge state is more properly determined by specific gravity, but I haven't seen a hygrometer for many years. A fully charged 12v battery is typically around 13.8 volts.

Actually, the cells on a standard lead acid battery are 2.1 volts at full charge with a standard 12v being actually 12.6 volts. Alternators generally charge at 13.8-14.4v because you need a higher voltage than the battery to actually charge it.

Fun fact: once a battery reaches 12.4 volts it is at only half charge.

/ Is it a 12v battery? #7  
I use a group 24F in mine. About as big in size that will fit and the F version has the posts reversed so placing the + post to left side puts the posts to front and not tucked back under the air filter, easier access to posts and clamps.

/ Is it a 12v battery? #8  
Actually, the cells on a standard lead acid battery are 2.1 volts at full charge with a standard 12v being actually 12.6 volts. Alternators generally charge at 13.8-14.4v because you need a higher voltage than the battery to actually charge it.

Fun fact: once a battery reaches 12.4 volts it is at only half charge.

Today’s TBN nitpicker award winner.

/ Is it a 12v battery? #9  
I use a group 24F in mine. About as big in size that will fit and the F version has the posts reversed so placing the + post to left side puts the posts to front and not tucked back under the air filter, easier access to posts and clamps.

I did the same - much easier to get to. I use the tractor battery to power the pump on my filling station.

/ Is it a 12v battery? #10  
From here...
BatteryStuff Articles | Why Does a 12 Volt Battery Read 13 Volts?

All Lead acid batteries (Gel, AGM, Flooded, Drycell, etc) are made up of a series of 2.2 volt cells that are bridged together in series to reach their final desired voltage. For instance, a 6 volt battery will have 3 cells (3 x2.2= 6.6 volts), a 12 volt battery will have 6 cells (6 x2.2=13.2 volts) and so on.That 2.2 volts is the fully charged, straight off the charger number. The actual resting voltage, or the voltage a battery will settle at 12-24 hours after being removed from the charger, is closer to 2.1 volts per cell, or about 6.4 volts for a 6v battery, and 12.7 volts for a 12v battery. These numbers assume 100% healthy cells, and may vary a bit lower for older batteries.