Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ?

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #21  
Yep Kyle, In Lee County the correct term is shredder. In Houston the correct term is brush hog.

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #22  
Bush Hog pioneered the movable blade on the outer edge of the round disc now known as a "stump-jumper". They were introduced sometime in the very early '50's. About 3 or 4 years back, they were celebrating the 50th anniversary of it's release. They sold little 1/16th scale replicas at the National Farm Machinery Show that year.

I've seen pictures and sketches of that "widow-maker" Ford sold. I kinda doubt O.S.H.A. would pass that one today /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back when I was a kid, I remember several farmers in our area with one arm, or missing a few fingers. After looking back at some of the contraptions they had to work with, I understand where all the "parts" went. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've seen pictures and sketches of that "widow-maker" Ford sold. )</font>

Probably the 3 most dangerous things I've seen on old tractors: buzz saw, long open belts on belt pullies.. where the belt travels 10' or more, and that fixed blade rear slasher mower ford had.. The pic I have seen shows a guy running the tractor and backing up into some dense folage.. one hand on the steering wheel, one hand on a fender.. locking back over his shoulder backing up. So.. what if a rear tire hit a stump... he'd fly off back and have a 23hp fixed blade chop him up into itty bitty pieces and the tractor might not notice!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Soundguy

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #24  
And if it was the same picture I saw, that fellow had a big smile on his face too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The most dangerous piece of equipment I know of, in terms of how many folks actually "got nailed" by it, had to have been corn pickers. They'd catch a big slug and plug up. Most times the farmer would just reach in and grab the plug while it was still running, trying to free it up. I personally know 4 different "old timers" around here without right arms from picker accidents.

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #25  
Yep, corn pickers. I know of 3 incidents in my area. I lost arm, 1 lost hand and one mangled but kept arm.

Ben

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #26  
During grad school, back in the early '80s, I spent a couple of terms off just earning some dough. I worked in a "startup" machine shop. The owner had some old metal punch presses that at one time had been powered by steam engines (or maybe even waterwheels) which pulled long leather belts throughout the factory building. These turned smaller transfer stations from which smaller belts ran to the press and turned a pulley. The presses had been modified with electric motors bolted to the top and a short belt running between the motor and the original pulley on the press. On the back of the presses themselves, we found manufacturing dates stamped on the body. I could hardly believe what I saw: 1860's and 70's.

These things had been jerry rigged with "safety buttons". The operator was supposed to hold one button down with his right hand and another with the left hand for the thing to run.

One problem was that the die wouldn't always punch cut the sheet metal correctly and they would hang up inside the die. The shop owner had us mash the buttons down with our elbows and keep a 1" x 2" x 6" stick in the right hand. In the half second intervals between punches, we had to quickly flick our wrists, using the stick to knock the part out from between the upper and lower sections of the die. The bigger problem was that the gearwheels inside the mechanisms were so worn out that the press would sometimes miss a beat and then double punch in less than a tenth of a second. Several times a day, the other half of that stick would have its thickness reduced to the same as a sheet of paper. A couple of years later, I ran into some of the guys I'd worked with in that place. To borrow a term from mathematics, they both were missing some "significant digits."

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #27  
From the link I put up

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( THE BUSH HOG STORY

HISTORY
In 1950, two farmers in the Dallas County, Alabama area conceived a product which would revolutionize the way pasture and crop residue was maintained world wide. This revolutionary new product became known as the Bush Hog rotary cutter.
)</font>

So that would be 1950. Probably got scared by the Ford unit.

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A Cat is a crawler,
A Crescent wrench is an adjustable wrench
A Bush Hog is a rotary cutter
A Kleenex is -- a kleenex)</font>

No,
A <font color="pink">Kleenex</font> is -- a facial tissue /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So that would be 1950. Probably got scared by the Ford unit. )</font>

I agree.... that fixed rear blade looks like a deathtrap to mee. i might own one, for colectability / historacle sake.. but would never run one.

As fro accidents.. I've seen a few grain drill accidents.. usually involved missing limbs.. or white sheets over bodies.

Soundguy

/ Is it a BUSH HOG or a BRUSH HOG ? #30  
Most farm and construction equipment used with tractors is inherently dangerous. But just like a GUN never killed anyone, but the SHOOTERS sure do, farm equipment isn't generally to blame.

OPERATOR ERROR.

And in MOST cases, that was brought on by fatigue or being in too much of a hurry.

But a "device" like those old Ford mowers would most definately improve ones odds of being in an accident.

I'd venture to say they didn't sell too many of those. Even back in the "dark ages", people could probably see they weren't such a good idea. I'd bet they're fairly valuable as a collectors item, all facts considered.

(Got a buddy with an 8N, Funk conversion V8 flathead, and half-tracks. That mower would be the crowning touch on his rig!)