Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel?

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #11  
I have 300 gallons of diesel in a 550 gallon above ground tank. It's 12 years old and still works fine in my diesel generator and oil furnace. I control the air flow in and out of the tank with two small check valves. One relieves pressure at 2 psi, the other relieves vacuum at 1/2 psi. The air going into the tank goes through a canister of dissicant to remove moisture. I added a quart of treatment several years ago. I live in the Pacific Northwest where we have plenty of moisture and wide temp swings.
Gotta think if this work here, it should probably work well in other locations.

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #12  
Isn't the issue the new formulations with Biodiesel added? How long has that been on the market? Experiences in the past with pure mineral diesel are academic.

J

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #13  
Isn't the issue the new formulations with Biodiesel added? How long has that been on the market? Experiences in the past with pure mineral diesel are academic.

J

The potential problem exists both with normal diesel and bio diesel although it's much, much worse with bio diesel. BD may be okay for a truck where you use it within a week but I certainly wouldn't want it stored around the farm for any length of time.

Ken

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel?

J
No, the issue is I was told it was impossible for the homeowner to store diesel, and I had always thought it was easy.

And I don't know about your area but I've been filling up diesels all over the East Coast of the U.S., from New York to Mississippi, and have only run across 1 Pilot station where it contained Bio.

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #15  
And I don't know about your area but I've been filling up diesels all over the East Coast of the U.S., from New York to Mississippi, and have only run across 1 Pilot station where it contained Bio.

Ah, that explains it. Here it has been a legal requirement for 5% biodiesel in mineral diesel since 2010.

J

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #16  
No, the issue is I was told it was impossible for the homeowner to store diesel, and I had always thought it was easy.

I don't know why it would be impossible for a homeowner to store diesel though bio diesel may be a different subject.

At work we have a of very large and a HUGE diesel generators that are connected to a humongous fuel tank. The generators are run once or twice a week. A technician comes out frequently and checks the generators. What is odd is that I have NEVER seen a fuel truck fill up the tank. :laughing: I have seen the tank painted multiple times, but with the exceptions of the painters, I have never seen a person near the tank. I wish I had a bottom less fuel tank like those generators. :laughing:

I have always wondered what treatment, if any, the fuel received. If it was treated, it was done when the tanker truck was filled best I can tell. Next time I see that technician checking out the gensets I will try to talk to him which might be difficult now that I think about it. Those gensets are LOUD and he has to wear hearing protection.

I don't see any difference in the fuel tank at work and what someone would have at home other than size.

Later,
Dan

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #17  
I know when I worked on a farm we had two fuel tanks that were about 250-300 gallons each. One tank had diesel and the other gas. We never had any problems and I never knew the boss to use a conditioner at all in any fuel tank. Those tanks would last months before being filled back up. I am not sure I ever saw them topped off, maybe once. Maybe. We went through gas faster than diesel because one tractor and the truck used gas. One tractor and a small dozer used the diesel but they were used less than the gassers. The tanks were on the north side of the barn and they were sitting in the weather with just a rotary pumps with a filter.

Most of the work was done in the summer and then the equipment would sit for awhile. I would guess this would be similar to many home owners.

Later,
Dan

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #18  
I have been keeping mine in a 30+ gallon plastic drum in an open barn for years. I have two drums so when one starts getting low I take the other one to get filled. I have never added anything. My pump is an old worn out oil barrel pump. It breathes well enough I guess.

/ Is it impossible for the homeowner to keep moisture out of diesel fuel? #19  
Around here you cant pick up fuel yourself.you have to order about 150 gallons min delivered top your home tank

Sent from my andriod using TractorByNet