Is it really worth $1000 more????

/ Is it really worth $1000 more???? #11  
I've had both large and small forward turning walk behind tillers, and I used to have the biggest rear tine counterrotating Craftsman walk behind. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. Maybe the reverse tine tiller will do a better job of making a seed bed, but I think just going slower with the forward turning tiller works just about as well.

The forward turning Bush Hog tiller I had for the tractor not only jumped over a few tree roots, but I was once tilling around a house for a neighbor and we found a brick sidewalk with about an inch of dirt covering the whole thing. And another place I found a large (about 3 feet) chunk of concrete. And I never sheared a pin or damaged the tiller. So I would not even want a reverse tine, or counterrotating, tiller on the tractor, even if they were the same price.

/ Is it really worth $1000 more???? #12  
Heck no they're not worth an extra $1000. It is just a different way to till the soil with a different set of pros and cons. Weight is your largest asset when tilling. The heaver the tiller the better it works.

/ Is it really worth $1000 more???? #13  
I have used a forward tine Troy Built on a yard that had dead sod (lawn sprayed with roundup the year before, all brown and dead). The forward tine beat me up and took many passes to get acceptable results. This is where reverse rotating tines would shine. They handle sod much better, but then again, how often are you taking out sod? If you do it frequently, I would go with the reverse rotation if I was messing with sod, otherwise I would get the less expensive one.

/ Is it really worth $1000 more????
WOW !!!! Good response >>>
I would like to say, I will be putting the new tiller (after purchased) on the back of A 1960 Ford 851 Power Master with 62 HP. The only real draw back to this set up is, this tractor does not have a granny gear (really slow speed). The old tiller worked fairly well, however the tines were worn almost away and instead of putting money into the old thing I've decided to go new. So the old dog will go up on the market the day the new one is purchased.
The info. you all have send is really good KEEP IT COMING.
Thanx Roger

/ Is it really worth $1000 more???? #15  
MY .02 I have a forward tiller my neighbor has a reverse tine. We compared side by side in sod I had to go over it 2 to 3 times to his one in the garden their was no difference they both worked about the same.

/ Is it really worth $1000 more???? #16  
I have a 5' KK forward tine. The reverse tine was like $200 more. I spoke with the salesmen and he actually said its not worth it. I am grateful I saved the money as mine supersedes my expectations. Works fantastic.

image-3310075127.jpg

image-2236370726.jpg

/ Is it really worth $1000 more????
OK, I went out a couple of days ago and spend the money on a six foot tiller from TSC. It's a Countyline and so far it works really good. The wife now has a hard time getting me to come in. Could that be a good thing???? I think I might need more land, five acres should till up pretty fast. LOL.
Thanks again to all that responded, your input was very helpful in my decision. Gotta go-----there is untilled dirt in them thar hills

/ Is it really worth $1000 more???? #18  
Glad to hear it's working well for you.