Is it the clutch?

/ Is it the clutch? #11  
It sounds like your steering linkage is bent. Maybe you can bend it down a bit.

/ Is it the clutch? #12  
Ditto what Jim said. Something is bent or the wrong parts have been installed at some time in the past. Either the steering linkage or the clutch linkage. Nothing should ever touch the steering linkage through it's normal range of movement and it certainly wasn't designed that way.

/ Is it the clutch?
Here are a couple of picture of the problem. In this one, the steering wheel is turned to the left, and you can see that the nut on the back of the steering rod is beginning to ride under the clutch linkage. The edge of the clutch pedal is just visible in the lower right corner of the picture.

Needless to say, I've got some work to do to correct this problem. However, since this is not a primary tractor and I can get by with turning right, the repair job may have to wait until fall or winter.

Attachments

• 456376-clutch1lq.jpg
    456376-clutch1lq.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 252
   / Is it the clutch?
another

Attachments

• 456377-clutch2lq.jpg
    456377-clutch2lq.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 203
   / Is it the clutch?
Well, I finally got the time to tear down the tractor and find the problem. It was ultimately the clutch. The clutch plate was worn down so far that it had even begun to wear into the rivets. I'm in the process of putting everything back together now, so we'll see how the new clutch works.

As for why the steering mechanism was rubbing over the cluch linkage, the best I can figure is that it must have been bent some time back. We have plenty of ditches and holes that could cause a problem like that. I know that it couldn't have been incorrect parts or work because the only folks that have ever worked on it have been my uncle and myself, and I can't recall ever doing any steering work.