Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor?

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #11  
   / Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #12  
Where does a compact tractor fall? Id say medium duty at best.

Trying to use light duty, medium duty or heavy duty in relation to compact tractors is a waste of time. The formal definitions of those terms generally apply to trucks, not tractors, and are based upon weight.

If modern CUTs weren't considered heavy duty/continuous use engines the manuals would specify an acceptable duty cycle (actually a drive cycle if you want to get picky).

Has anybody seen a line in their manual that tells them they can only run at PTO speed for a given time or damage will occur? What people traditionally call light and medium duty engines aren't rated for the equivalent of PTO speed indefinitely the way tractors are.

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #17  
We've got two D-17 Allis-Chalmers in the shed right now with over 4500 hours on them that are gassers. Doubt any new EPA compliant gas engines would resemble those now. At 60 engine HP they get awful thirsty. But they were stone cold reliable. Hopefully the EPA will stop the insanity but too many people are getting wealthy changing the regulations on emissions every four or five years. Guess who is paying?

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #19  
I'd settle for one that uses politicians.

2nd that & buy older tractors w/o the crap on them. IMO, the EPA dosen't have a clue about this & is just stabbing in the darkness.

Ronnie

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #20  
The manufactures are no more able to break the laws of physics than you or I are able to.
yeah right!!! For decades they said they were making the engines as fuel efficient as possible but they only got 10 mpg with a best in class of around 20 mpg. Now after feds mandated better fuel economy for decades, we now have 300+HP engines with 31MPG claims (Dodge Charger/Challenger) so the laws of physics change over time especially when government steps up and demands it. I can still remember the automakers claims that it was not possible to make car engines to meet the requirement but they did when faced with possibility of heavy fines and/or not being allowed to sell their products. So far they continue to make the engines more efficient and also with more HP.
I think they can do the same with the diesel engines if they have too. Right now they are just scabbing on whatever they can come up with to barely meet the environmental requirements and we all know they can do something better than Urea injection. A double turbocharger comes to mind to prevent the carbon from forming in the first place. Maybe even an electric motor driven one like I see proposed on a new model car to reduce the turbo lag.
Lot of things they could do, but the price goes up. Right now they are just getting the minimums with minimal effort but causing the public a PIA with the operation and maintenance of these new Tier IV engines.