Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor?

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #272  
If you guys want a gas powered tractor I've got two D-17 Allis Chalmers sitting in the shed you can run...
All you need is a little cash to keep those tanks full of fuel...
One series 3 and one series 4...
The series 4 has over 4500 hours and the engine has not been touched...
The series 3 I think had the heads redone at 4000 plus hours...
Good old tractors with well built engines...
Speaking of power those Power Crater engines develop 63 engine and 53 PTO HP at 1650 RPM...
4 Cylinder 226 cubic inch gasses...
Burns around 4.5 gal per hour per Nebraska tests...

We were thinking 2016 design and spec gas and diesel engines vs 1950's gas and Diesel engines . A 1950's diesel is a far cry from a Tier IV diesel. The 1950's low compression, carburated , points ignition gasser isn't much of an engine vs a 2016 high compression direct injected gasser using unleaded fuel.

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #273  
We were thinking 2016 design and spec gas and diesel engines vs 1950's gas and Diesel engines . A 1950's diesel is a far cry from a Tier IV diesel. The 1950's low compression, carburated , points ignition gasser isn't much of an engine vs a 2016 high compression direct injected gasser using unleaded fuel.

I "KNOW" what you were thinking...
Some folks don't understand "tongue in cheek", "sarcasm", and "dry humor"...
Evidently you are one of them...

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #274  
The problem with gasoline engines thermal efficiency is that at certain pressure the fuel ignites by the heat of compression. Since all fuel ignites instantly and before the piston reaches the top the engine pings and develop low torque. This limitation (compression ratio 8 to 11) was overcame by direct injection where the fuel burns at the time of injection and at the rate of delivery. So there is very little difference between gas and diesel in this regards. Since the thermal efficiency is dependent on compression ratio direct injection high compression engines are just about as efficient as diesel though their fuel consumption (in volume or mass) is greater than diesel because diesel fuel has larger energy content.
I used to race boats many years ago. Since the fuel was unregulated we used methyl alcohol. The engines had compression ratio around 14 - 15. Since the fuel had about half of the energy content of gasoline its double volume delivered in the engine had to evaporate in the cylinder lowering piston temperature. The engines developed about 300 HP/litter and had about 8 hours time between overhauls despite crankshaft and both ends of connecting rod having roller bearings.

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #275  
None to add. Flat out wide open all day long.

if the hand throttle was actually maxing out the carb butterfly, with nothing to add, and she wasn't loosing rpms steadily, but instead, maintaining, and dipping in thick and recovering.. then I'd call that 100%

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #276  
   / Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #277  
HP is meaningless without a measurement of work done...

HP is the measured rate at which work can be performed. 100HP will perform twice as much work in one hour than 50HP will perform in one hour. The 50HP in two hours will produce as much work as the 100HP in one hour.

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #278  
HP is the measured rate at which work can be performed. 100HP will perform twice as much work in one hour than 50HP will perform in one hour. The 50HP in two hours will produce as much work as the 100HP in one hour.

Didn't I just say that?

/ Is it time for a gasoline engine tractor? #280  
No. What you said made sense.
u

550 Ft. Lb's. Per sec. Sure sounds familiar. But that just ain't the case north of 49 in the here and now. I no longer know what it is. On some of the metric quantities comprehension never happened or with great difficulty. For me the saving point was one inch equals two point five cm's. But visualizing a rainfall of eight mm boggles my mind. And don't even mention slugs, mass, weight or acceleration; those just see a thick dark gray fog envelope my being!