Is it time to consider electric?

/ Is it time to consider electric? #81  
I’d have no problem with a battery zero turn for use around the home.
If it’s for commercial work, it’ll have to have a lot more battery life and power

Not super cheap, but they're supposed to be good for about 8 hours a day worth of work, and mowing 21 acres. And the equivalent of a 65 HP engine.

That should be plenty to mow many parks, schools, rest areas, etc. Perhaps a couple of days or nights to mow some golf courses.

If you have more mowing than that, then you need to look for a different solution than a small zero turn.

Greenworks may be a bit optimistic, but they claim that the fuel savings with the electric mowers will pay for themselves.

Last edited:
   / Is it time to consider electric? #82  
I couldn't access your link. Can it run 24/7 without charging?
It may well have to charge every once in a while. But, then again most diesel trucks on the road also have to refuel.

Give it 5 or 10 years, and the Teslas will be running 24/7 without drivers, while the diesels will be stuck idling all night in rest areas.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #83  
If they implement electric haul truck with today technology it will be a disaster mine as well move out we will starve. For limited distance and time travel sure but long haul you better shoot yourself in the foot it will hurt less.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #84  

Not super cheap, but they're supposed to be good for about 8 hours a day worth of work, and mowing 21 acres. And the equivalent of a 65 HP engine.

That should be plenty to mow many parks, schools, rest areas, etc. Perhaps a couple of days or nights to mow some golf courses.

If you have more mowing than that, then you need to look for a different solution than a small zero turn.

Greenworks may be a bit optimistic, but they claim that the fuel savings with the electric mowers will pay for themselves.

Yeah I don’t know about those claims or “Greenworks” being a commercial grade machine, but after they get some time on them and work the bugs out, it’ll be a competitor, especially with the way the gubmit keeps handicapping ICE powered equipment.

Not my way of changing things, because you treat the ICE competition unfairly with impossible emissions standards, but right now these wackos are in control and steering us into all chinese/electric culture and nation.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #85  
It may well have to charge every once in a while. But, then again most diesel trucks on the road also have to refuel.

Which would take several hours because of the battery size, while a diesel truck can refuel in 20 minutes. That puts diesel 100‘s of miles ahead for faster delivery.

Also, it’s been shown electric road tractors can’t handle the same payload because the batteries weigh so much.

Give it 5 or 10 years, and the Teslas will be running 24/7 without drivers, while the diesels will be stuck idling all night in rest areas.

Hmmm, I guess you’ve never heard of driver teams? One drives while the other sleeps?

Come on, we aren’t stupid. lol

/ Is it time to consider electric? #87  
Not my way of changing things, because you treat the ICE competition unfairly with impossible emissions standards, but right now these wackos are in control and steering us into all chinese/electric culture and nation.
You can complain about emissions all you want. When I was younger, many of the major metro areas in the USA including LA and St. Louis had major smog issues. And likely other areas had problems, and we just weren't paying attention to it. I think our sunsets when I was young were much more reddish-orange, likely due to smog, and I just didn't know it.

Why the heck did they put lead in gasoline... yes, I know about cushioning valve seats, but didn't somebody think that was a bad idea?

I prefer clean air.

Is there a time when it is good enough? Perhaps there is.

Now, surely the air quality problems don't apply to rural communities, does it? And to some extent that may be true. And, I have mixed feelings about going overboard, although it is the farmers that are driving around all day with a diesel exhaust pipe in their faces.

Not long ago field burning was a big thing around here. Beautiful summer day, and smoke everywhere. Of course now we have forest fires to blame the smoke on.

One of the worst local areas for air pollution is a rural logging community. Although that could be blamed on everybody having wood stoves and fireplaces. And, yes, I do like cleaner burning wood stoves too.

Now, there is the NIMBY (Not in My Back Yard) approach. Except that one person's smoke is the air the next person is breathing.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #88  
You can complain about emissions all you want. When I was younger, many of the major metro areas in the USA including LA and St. Louis had major smog issues. And likely other areas had problems, and we just weren't paying attention to it. I think our sunsets when I was young were much more reddish-orange, likely due to smog, and I just didn't know it.

Why the heck did they put lead in gasoline... yes, I know about cushioning valve seats, but didn't somebody think that was a bad idea?

I prefer clean air.

Is there a time when it is good enough? Perhaps there is.

Now, surely the air quality problems don't apply to rural communities, does it? And to some extent that may be true. And, I have mixed feelings about going overboard, although it is the farmers that are driving around all day with a diesel exhaust pipe in their faces.

Not long ago field burning was a big thing around here. Beautiful summer day, and smoke everywhere. Of course now we have forest fires to blame the smoke on.

One of the worst local areas for air pollution is a rural logging community. Although that could be blamed on everybody having wood stoves and fireplaces. And, yes, I do like cleaner burning wood stoves too.

Now, there is the NIMBY (Not in My Back Yard) approach. Except that one person's smoke is the air the next person is breathing.

NOBODY here on TBN wants smog, lead in the atmosphere, dirty air, dirty water or dirty soil.
In the last 40 years, we have made unimaginable strides in cleaning that up with some costs related to extra pollution equipment, loss in reliability and extra complexity in repairs, but even that has improved in many ways. Before EV’s or electric equipment, we had cleaned up tremendously.

Now we are throwing that all away to be mostly chinese electric everything? And as was said before, even the chinese don’t use the electric vehicles & equipment we are guilted into using.

Stupid is as stupid does.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #89  

Not cheap??? $28,000 not cheap! Compare that to an $11,000 61" Ferris!!!
People that believe that $17,000 more difference will "pay for itself" has their head up their......CORNPOP!

/ Is it time to consider electric? #90  
Insanity...pure insanity like most things today. No rational thought or actual proof of anything. Plant more trees!