Is it worth it

/ Is it worth it #1  

LabLuvR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400
5 more horsepower that is. My local Century dealer quoted me $11,500 on a new 2003 model 2535. The price on a 2004 model 3040 was $14,500. Aside from the year model difference we are only talking 5 hp difference. Is it of that much value to have the extra hp?? I am currently using an 8N Ford so I guess anything is an improvement over what I have now.

/ Is it worth it #2  
the extra horses are well worh it IF THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED. The bigger the machine, the more you loose on manureveability. For example, you do not need a 30-06 to kill a rabbit, a .22 will kill it just as dead. An 18 wheeler will haul a sack of grocries... BUT...
Here in America, most people think that if 2 asprins are good, the 5 should be better. This is not always the way to think with machines. More power is fine and dandy, if all other considerations are in the formula also.
I have sold a few 45 horse tractors to folks with only 2 acres. Some of them relized they really needed a big lawnmower, some were as happy as a pig in the sunshine.
Its up to you.... happy tractoring.

/ Is it worth it #3  
LabLuvR
Welcome to TBN. I think $11500 for a 2535 is nothing less than a bargain but there is more that 5hp to consider. The 3040 is a larger tractor. What will you be using it for and with what implements? From the price I assume it is without a loader. Most compact tractors are sold with a loader and many of the ones that are not get one later (at a higher cost). Are you are absolutely sure you will not need one? Where are you located? Can you give us some more details as to your planned uses and lot size?
Good luck
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Is it worth it
Thanks for the welcome, one day I will take a minute and fill out my profile. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My usage of the tractor is pretty much pulling a four or five foot bush hog for pasture work, a small two row planter, and a 4 foot set of disc. At this point I see very little if any need for a FEL in the future. I live in South Carolina and have several dealers nearby to include Century, Kabota, Massey, NH, JD etc. I would rather have more hp than not enough, but don't have enough experience under my belt with tractors to know if I would be happier with a 35 vs. a 40. I am sure the quote I got was without a FEL by the way.

I am located in SC and my field work is around 10 acres, my pasture area is about another 20 for a total of 30 that I have to maintain in some shape or fashion.

/ Is it worth it #5  
LabLuvR
My 2 cents is go with the 3040 and you could up the brush hog to 6' foot. I do not know enough about the Discs to know how big you can go with 36 pto hp. With that much acreage I think you will be happier with the larger tractor.

What's everyone else have to say?

Good Luck
Chipperman :) :)

/ Is it worth it #6  
LabLuvR
My 2 cents is go with the 3040 and you could up the brush hog to 6' foot. I do not know enough about the Discs to know how big you can go with 36 pto hp. With that much acreage I think you will be happier with the larger tractor.

What's everyone else have to say?

Good Luck
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Is it worth it #7  
LabLuvR,

I agree with Chipperman on the 3040---it is a sweet machine.
However,the size of implements you are talking about hooking on to it would only require the 2535---in fact would be much more than enough to handle them. The only difference between the two are a larger frame, which alows for larger tires and wheels, and the extra 5HP. Century (Zetor) has two tractors rated at 35HP---one small frame and one large frame.(2535&3035)
With the acerage you are describing, I am more inclined to agree with Chipperman on the 3040---but if you go this route---I would recommend larger implements for it.
Just as a side note, I wouldn't get too tangled up in the horsepower ratings. Look more at the physical size of the tractor, matched to your needs.

dancce