Mowing Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard?

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard?
I have to ask one stupid question, if you don't mind.

Why do you have a 7' mower on such a big tractor?

That was the size of mower that was recommended for my tractor, it is 6" wider than the tractor on each side and is a heavy duty mower. The dealer actually was a little worried the mower might be too heavy for the tractor.

do you have chains or belt on front of the mower? if not wire will get wrapped around the blade and slung through the inside of the back tire.

The mower has chains in front and behind it.

Not to be a fun sucker or anything, but what are the odds some of that Chicken wired made it to the spindle, and bound things up?

Some days, it just dosn't pay to chew through the straps..

Good luck in the morning!!

I thought about the same thing and inspected all the nooks and crannies (on top of the skid plate, in the PTO shaft, on the spindle.) and it was all clear, the only place that had any wire was around the blades.

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #12  
Hello, so today I woke up and decided today was the day I put the new tractor through its paces by mowing my pasture, 8:00am I was in the pasture mowing along when suddenly I got a transmission error light come on.

I put it in neutral and stopped the PTO and waited a few seconds and the warning light went away. I continued to mow when some chicken wire got caught in the mower blades, I went in to get it cleaned out and realized I had a leak on the inside of my rear tire (calcium chloride was shooting out.) I called my dealer and they got a truck out that determined it was a warranty thing (a defect when the tire was made.)

while the tire was getting fixed I pulled the error codes: CCU PA 523316.04 Ptr PA 158.01 598.02 522456.31 524160.02 ICC PA 237.02 237.31 I have no idea what they mean (if anyone knows feel free to chime in.) Tire was fixed and I was back out in the pasture when the error light happened again, this time I found out that both times it happened I was in B4 shifting down to B3.

After the error cleared I continue on when I looked back and saw 3' of grass wasn't cut, I looked down and the PTO shaft was broken, brought it back in again and now have to wait till tomorrow for a mechanic to come out and find out what is going on. Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? How many problems can a new tractor with 26 hours have?

Don't mind me Corey, I was just providing some spaces for my old eyes to read. :drink:

Don't mind me Corey, I was just providing some spaces for my old eyes to read. :drink:

Lol, no problem. It's one of those days that had to get off my chest and try to find answers. My sentences ran on longer than they should have.

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #14  
Very understandable...sometimes life's a pain. :thumbsup:

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #15  
You have a beautiful new tractor. I'd say you're just getting the bugs worked out.

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #16  
That was the size of mower that was recommended for my tractor, it is 6" wider than the tractor on each side and is a heavy duty mower. The dealer actually was a little worried the mower might be too heavy for the tractor.

Now I am a little confused.

The mower is listed for 45-90 PTO HP and weighs 1100lbs.

The tractor is rated 100 PTO HP, standard lift capacity at 24" is ~4800lbs.

I don't understand what he was worried about?

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #17  
looks like the slip clutch did not slip.loosen it up and spin it then tighten it back down.

the u-joint spit out the caps! My bet is that the retainer clips were never installed and the caps worked their way out.

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #18  
Thank you for making me smile. I definitely don't want to make light of your your day. However it makes me feel good others have days like that too. Days like this that test my patience I am glad no one gets hurt. Especially me :)

You have a beautiful new tractor. I'd say you're just getting the bugs worked out.

Thank you, hopefully the bugs will soon be gone cause they are really bugging me, lol.

Now I am a little confused.

The mower is listed for 45-90 PTO HP and weighs 1100lbs.

The tractor is rated 100 PTO HP, standard lift capacity at 24" is ~4800lbs.

I don't understand what he was worried about?

I'm not sure either, except for the slip clutch not working properly the tractor handles and pulls it just fine. My neighbor has a 15' batwing that I hope to use next time (gotta get the 1000 rpm PTO upgrade installed first.) he rents out farm equipment and said for most equipment the rule of thumb is 1' for every 4hp, it seems a little big cause that would mean I can use 28' attachments.

the u-joint spit out the caps! My bet is that the retainer clips were never installed and the caps worked their way out.

Not only did they spit them out but I rolled the mower side over and the ring that the u-joints sit inside is spit wide open (I will post a pic later today.)

Thank you for making me smile. I definitely don't want to make light of your your day. However it makes me feel good others have days like that too. Days like this that test my patience I am glad no one gets hurt. Especially me :)

I hear you, talking about all this is definitely lightening things up for me and making me smile, my patience was definitely put to the test yesterday.

/ Is mowing a pasture supposed to be this hard? #20  
No, it's not "supposed" to be that hard, but as mentioned sometimes it just is and is the nature of farming, we had two fairly new tractors toes up last week for a coupe of days; nothing serious just annoying. Lots of good feedback on slip clutch etc., be thankful it was a U joint and not a gear box, we had that happen and $400+ down the drain.

Not related, but a small cutter is a waste on that tractor or at least it seems so to me.

Running tractors you will have good days and bad, just the nature of things, don't get too frustrated.