Traction Is my 4WD working?

/ Is my 4WD working? #11  
In the OP, it appears he has already "tested" it as his rear tires were spinning and his front weren't doing anything, how is hooking to a tree or pushing against something etc. going to be any different?

I am not a mechanic, but it "seems" if on a 4WD the back tires are spinning and the front are not, either it is not in 4WD or 4WD is broken.

/ Is my 4WD working? #12  
Yeah, when I see the rears spinning and the fronts aren't, I think, "oops, forgot I was in 2WD."

Backing uphill with extra weights on the front? With weight transfer involved, normally the fronts would be the main driving force. Looks like you just barely kept going, with that spinning rear getting just enough bite to keep you moving.

/ Is my 4WD working? #13  
I would have thought the fronts would have been pulling, but don't know if they were or not.

He may not have seen it ... put it up against something and remove the doubt.

/ Is my 4WD working? #14  
From the OP:

"Today I was backing uphill, on grass, and noticed the rear right tire spinning a little. I had a Caroni flail lowered & floating and was in low reverse. I would have thought the fronts would have been pulling, but don't know if they were or not. They never spun."

/ Is my 4WD working? #15  
If you use this method, and the fronts do turn...stop before you lower those front tires. There have been posts suggesting that this may stress the front axle (primarily on Deere 790's, BTW). Although there is no solid data to support those posts, no use trying to become a statistic.

Perhaps he already has.....

/ Is my 4WD working? #16  
Find muddy spot.
Enter with 2WD.
Get stuck.
Shift into 4WD.
Still stuck?
Dang!

/ Is my 4WD working? #17  
Yeah but my "shallow ditch method" will not be a strain on the tractor, tears nothing up, and you wont have a stuck tractor when you confirm what you already know, that the 4WD is broken.:)

James K0UA

/ Is my 4WD working?
Thanks for all the replies, fellows. I mowed more today and found that the
4WD is working.

I believe what had happened (before) was that I had weight on the front, the mower setting on the bank, and very little weight on the rears.

Thanks again.