Is My Optical Mouse Dying?

/ Is My Optical Mouse Dying? #12  
I'm with Jinman.

Try different USB port.

If this doesn't work, suspect defective wire....tape wire where it attaches to USB plug and seek to make immobile. Do same where wire comes out of optical mouse.

Since it "fixed" itself overnight...might suspect mouse driver... might reload or look for new one of above do not help.

Last resort, try another mouse.......borrowed or purchased....

Hope you solve it... vexing are these computer problems:confused2:

/ Is My Optical Mouse Dying? #13  
Does this mean my mouse is dying, or could it be something else?

Check the hole under the mouse for dirt interfering with the optical light. Even a miniscule amount will cause the mouse to malfunction.

/ Is My Optical Mouse Dying? #14  
Like already stated. Get a new mouse. I have changed to a MS wireless mouse. Long battery life and ease of use. I have 3 5000 series mice. One on each computer. Staples has them on sale this Sunday for $30.

/ Is My Optical Mouse Dying?
Like already stated. Get a new mouse. I have changed to a MS wireless mouse. Long battery life and ease of use. I have 3 5000 series mice. One on each computer. Staples has them on sale this Sunday for $30.

That presents another question.:laughing: I see there are widely varying prices on mice, but what makes a $30 one better than a $15 one? I know both of my brothers use Logitech wireless and claim to never have any trouble with them, except one of them says he has to replace the batteries in his about every 6 months. Of course I've never had any trouble with a mouse either until this one.:laughing:

/ Is My Optical Mouse Dying? #17  
Mice come in many shapes, really....you need to make sure what you get fits your hand well.

The variety is huge
trackball...
optical
various numbers of buttons placed at different locations, scroll wheels
programmable buttons...can be extremely useful if you use the programming
touchpads
wireless/wired

it's all about features.... after you solve the most important thing...does it properly fit your hand,.

/ Is My Optical Mouse Dying? #18  
No one mentioned this, so I will...

Try the mouse on a different surface. Optical mice work by reflecting light off the surface below them and then back up to a receiver on the mouse.

You haven't changed mouse pads, have you?

Just thinking. :)

/ Is My Optical Mouse Dying? #19  
A lot of times...it is the glide surface points on the bottom of the mouse that wear unevenly and it causes problems with the reflection of the light engine...

laser mice seem to be more sensitive to this than LED mice

/ Is My Optical Mouse Dying?
No one mentioned this, so I will...

Try the mouse on a different surface. Optical mice work by reflecting light off the surface below them and then back up to a receiver on the mouse.

You haven't changed mouse pads, have you?

Just thinking. :)

I haven't even used a mouse pad since I got this optical mouse. It's just on a light colored oak veneer surface.

And in spite of the problems I had with it for a couple of days, it's worked just fine ever since I started this thread.:confused::eek::laughing: