Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery

/ Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
My 9 year old tractor battery for my New Holland 3930 is not turning over fast enough to start the tractor. Before buying a new battery I’m going g to try to charge it. Question is this- is a large tractor battery considered a “deep cycle” battery?

I’ve gotten good service out of this battery, it is an Interstate brand.

Thanks

/ Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #2  
Nope, probably not a deep-cycle. I have a battery maintainer plugged in 24/7 and the oem battery is still in my 2014 tractor.
If possible have the battery load tested after sitting for a day. That will tell the condition...but if it's already weak it’s probably on the way out.
The most important number to look at is CCAs (cold cranking amps), not only CAs. Any physical size will work provided it fits properly/snug and the terminals are on the correct orientation. Take a picture of it in the tractor before removing. Probably want something at 650 CCAs or more for your diesel.

Last edited:
   / Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #3  
I doubt if it is a deep cycle. Have a look at the label on your battery. They usually state what type of battery it is.

Last edited:
   / Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #4  
A deep cycle battery is intended to have long, somewhat steady and low draws against it at times it isn't charging, bringing the charge very low. Then it can be charged back up fairly slowly to full again. That's the 'deep cycle' reference. A normal vehicle battery used primarily for starting the engine and then for ambient 12V during vehicle operation is not a deep cycle use case. It needs a large spike of current draw during the engine start sequence.

In any event, you should be able to look at the model/part info on your current battery and determine what it is. Or you can ask the tractor manufacturer what is recommended. But it is unlikely to be a deep cycle battery.

/ Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #5  
My 9 year old tractor battery for my New Holland 3930 is not turning over fast enough to start the tractor. Before buying a new battery I’m going g to try to charge it. Question is this- is a large tractor battery considered a “deep cycle” battery?

Maybe.... i would bet with tractor maybe 30yo and battery being interstate its not the original.....

sometimes certain models of construction and farm diesels use high CCA batteries that are deep cycle especially in colder climate applications.

why??
- high CCA needed to turn over the engine at startup:
and
- deep cycle to help cycle the glow plug multiple times, pre-warm air intake if equipped with that feature, and handle the long idle times/lower RPM applications diesels often experience.

I always use the best quality / highest CCA / deep cycle batteries I can find/afford/stuff into available space on all my off road diesels. When its -30 the equipment appreciates I think. Whoever put the battery in or recomended the replacement maybe of the same school as me.

Last edited:
   / Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #6  
Deep cycle batteries are intended for long slow discharges - as would be the case with a parked, occupied RV - using lights, fan, refrig (power to ignite gas), or boats - same use. They are not hurt much with 80% discharges.

Auto batteries are expected to have sharp deep draws - starting and then constant charging until next time called upon to start. They do not stand deep discharges very well.

Truck batteries, which may have the same CA or CCA as a car battery, or more, are intended for use in an environment with a lot of vibration. That would be tractor use - if you can stand the price of the truck battery. I get 10 years +/- out of my tractor batteries, which are auto batteries. Hard to justify the cost of a truck battery

/ Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #7  
I had a Odyssey battery on my previous tractor. Thirteen years and still going strong when I traded it in.

Two years ago my OEM battery on M6040 Kubota started acting weak. Replaced it with an Odyssey battery. It has 1200 CCA. I baby my batteries - have a battery maintainer on it all winter.

/ Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #8  
I buy ACDelco batteries for my tractors at the GM dealer. They last longer and are cheaper than the NH OEM batteries. Plus I get points to use towards vehicle service.

/ Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #9  
I tend to go with the largest physically sized battery that will fit in the battery box, then depending on the tractor the more CCA the better.
Although I have been known to substitute two smaller batteries in parallel for one extremely expensive large one.

/ Is my tractors battery a deep cycle battery #10  
It's a battery to start your tractor and provide 12V during runtime. Pretty sure the battery size/type spec'd by the manufacturer is 100% adequate. Why one would want to find a physically larger battery and deviate from that is curious. Obviously getting one with higher CCA is good if you live in a cold climate, but beyond that I see no reason not to use the stock spec battery. Have you added extra accessories that draw a lot of power like a ton of lighting or a winch?