Is NH SuperSteer really "super"??

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"?? #1  

topshop

Bronze Member
Is NH SuperSteer really \"super\"??

Could those of you who own or have used a NH with SuperSteer tell those of us considering a purchase if you like or dislike the SuperSteer feature? The large majority of NH CUT's are sold without it. My dealer says that most shy away from it because they don't want to adjust to the different behavior of the FEL when turning. Extra cost ($1,000-1,400) would also likely be a factor, and there is a loss of about four inches of ground clearance due to the additional control arm. What is your experience with SuperSteer?

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"?? #2  
Re: Is NH SuperSteer really \"super\"??

The NH or Case-IH design tractors are not the tightest turning with out it the super-steer attachment. I haven't heard of any major problems with them other then higher costs down the road from more moving parts. With the super-steer it put's them tighter then most all compacts for a tight turn.

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"?? #3  

I have super-steer and would not change back. I love it for mowing around trees. With the loader, yes it took some getting use to but actually there is times with the loader it comes in handy because you can manipulate the loader into corners easier. Again unless I was getting a tractor for large loader work on steep hills I wouldn't go with out.

murph

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"?? #4  

SuperSteer isn't for everyone, it's just another one of those personal choices. I think all folks should have the opportunity to try it and make their own decision as to whether it's worthwhile option in their opinion.

That said we have it and really like it. Also the SensiTrak clutch is a part of the SS package and puts your rig in 4WD automatically whenever it is needed, so there is one less thing that you need worry about. You'll never need to ask yourself "should I or shouldn't I be in 4WD for this project?"

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"?? #5  

Same here on satisfied results. I have no complaints on clearance, the small learning curve or other similar questions. I like the automatic 4WD(sensi trak) feature as Mike replied. With the 17LA loader being a little longer... the extra visual picture for FEL work is nice too.

I think I would really miss the option if I had to go to the standard front axle and loose SensiTrak. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"?? #6  

Have owned a TC33 with supersteer. If I bought another NH tractor I would not get the supersterer. For mowing around objects with a MMM it did turn tighter but trimming may still be needed. The compact. tractors without supersteer already have a very good turning radius. Also the pivot point for supersteer does lower the tractors's ground clearance.

For duities other than finish mowing I am not sure you gain that much with supersteer.

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"?? #7  

One thing about super-steer that has not been mentioned is the fact that you don't tear up as much grass with the super-steer. Yes most compacts turn tight but will tear up your grass. Super-steer will also drag one wheel and drive the other.

murph

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"??

There has been a somewhat mixed response to my post regarding SuperSteer, leaning toward favorable. Today I went to the dealer and used a TC33DA with and one without SuperSteer, doing some turns in a dirt parking lot. Clearly the SS turns tighter; however, it wasn't obvious to me that the difference was worth the combination of extra cost, less ground clearance, and possible future malfunctions. I wish the choice were clearer, but I still find myself wrestling with this. I don't mind the extra cost if I thought it was the right feature for my purposes. I keep wondering what happens if the axel pivot arm strikes a hidden stump. That lower clearance troubles me when I think about going through the woods or brush hogging a field with hidden objects.

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"?? #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Today I went to the dealer and used a TC33DA with and one without SuperSteer, doing some turns in a dirt parking lot. Clearly the SS turns tighter; however, it wasn't obvious to me that the difference was worth the combination of extra cost, less ground clearance, and possible future malfunctions. I wish the choice were clearer, but I still find myself wrestling with this. )</font>

I would say that since you tried both tractors and are still undecided, your decision is coming down on the side of a non-supersteer tractor. If you had loved supersteer and saw lots of uses for it, then I'd suggest buying it. Essentially, I'm saying that if you have questions, concerns, or worries, then the normal-steer tractor may be your best choice; although either would be a good choice.

/ Is NH SuperSteer really "super"??

You make an excellent point, Jim. I have begun to reach the same conclusion. Both are great tractors and are highly maneuverable.