Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck?

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck? #1  

dannyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere tractors 20-40HP; skid steer loader
Well, I spent most of today getting familiar with the new 2520, loader, and 62D-2 deck. (Traded my Kubota B7500 for it.)

The old Kubota mid-mower had similar linkage components to the new JD, but it was pulled along on its wheels. I think the expression is "ground contact" for this type of mower.

In reading the manual for the 62D (I didn't get the independent lift kit), it seems that the mower cutting height is set simply by setting the three-point (rockshaft) position control lever to the desired height, and then the four wheels are set to about 1/4" to 1/2" above the ground. Thus the four wheels serve as anti-scalp wheels and do not support the mower's weight when mowing.

I did manage to level the deck, and at a cutting height of 4" the position control lever is almost all the way up.

First question: Do I have this right so far?

Second question: I assume that after mowing I should lower the three-point all the way so that the mower does rest on the wheels. Or should the pins in the shafts be released each time so that the deck is supported by the ground only?

Third question: My mower deck came with what appears to be a hose port on the left side for clean-out. Has anyone used this method to clean their mower, and does it work? The manual doesn't even mention it.

Man, either I'm getting really slow-witted in my old age or else JD could write a slightly more informative manual!

Danny

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck? #2  
#1 - yes - NOT ground contact and with your 4" cutting height it is close to all the way up

#2 - Do you have the knob in the center of the floor to control the deck height? The 2305/2230 have that.. I usually lock my deck at the highest point using this knob - otherwise i just let the 3pt hitch hold it up

#3 - Opinions appear to be mixed on the hose port - some like it others say it doesnt work that well

Brian

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck? #3  
I would call it a floating deck. Mine on my 2520 is about 6" off the ground with the 3 point fully up. I set the position stop for the 3point lever at about 7, at this level the deck is about 3" off the ground. Any lower and I feel it cuts too low. I don't set the deck down when parking, don't think it will hurt anything to be left up. I have an older model and don't have the wash down port. Wish I did as many times the garage smells like moldy grass after a couple of days

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck? #4  
".... it seems that the mower cutting height is set simply by setting the three-point (rockshaft) position control lever to the desired height, and then the four wheels are set to about 1/4" to 1/2" above the ground. Thus the four wheels serve as anti-scalp wheels and do not support the mower's weight when mowing."

As a 2520 owner (2305 & 2320 have a center height control knob), this is my understanding as well, the four wheels are anti-scalp wheels, the three-point (rockshaft) lever sets the cutting height. But I may be wrong.

"Second question: I assume that after mowing I should lower the three-point all the way so that the mower does rest on the wheels. Or should the pins in the shafts be released each time so that the deck is supported by the ground only?"

Depends. I store the deck (on tractor) in full up / or down position with the wheel shaft pins set at slightly above cutting height. However, the pins in the wheel shafts must be released (wheels up) when driving over the deck for deck removal or installation... otherwise you'll damage the deck.

"Third question: My mower deck came with what appears to be a hose port on the left side for clean-out. Has anyone used this method to clean their mower, and does it work? The manual doesn't even mention it."

I've hooked a hose up to this port and washed the underside of the deck a few times... seems to throw out a lot of water when operated at rated PTO RPM. How well does this procedure work? I dunno, since I've never inspected the underside of the deck after the hose "cleaning"

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck?
Thanks for the QUICK responses, guys.

Brian, there is no knob to control deck height on the 2520, just the knob that controls the rate of implement lowering when the position control is pushed forward.

Yak651, my sliding knob is set at 8.5 to give a cutting height of 4 inches.

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck?
Urbandeere, I did put the deck totally on the ground when I drove over it, but I noticed that when the dealer demo'ed it for me, he left a bit of shaft protruding so that the deck could still be moved on the wheels after taking the deck off. I'm thinking that is not a good idea and that I will move the deck with a strap and pallet forks.

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck? #7  
Urbandeere, I did put the deck totally on the ground when I drove over it, but I noticed that when the dealer demo'ed it for me, he left a bit of shaft protruding so that the deck could still be moved on the wheels after taking the deck off. I'm thinking that is not a good idea and that I will move the deck with a strap and pallet forks.

Uh, don't get me started!!! :(

The deck needs to be sitting flat on the ground, wheel pins released, when installing/removing the deck. Yes, this mean the deck cannot be rolled on the anti-scalp wheels to a storage location with the wheels up. Why the angry face? Because I thought my deck would be delivered with the "stow and go" lift pins, so this would not be an issue. NOT! So now I need to lift (my aching back) each wheel and lower it until all four wheels are carrying all the weight of the deck so I can roll it to a storage location. The other option is to use a chain (strap or pallet forks) to lift the deck with the FEL and move it to a storage location. Unfortunately, I keep the FEL off the tractor when I mowing. Oh, my back!!!

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck? #8  
...The deck needs to be sitting flat on the ground, wheel pins released, when installing/removing the deck. Yes, this mean the deck cannot be rolled on the anti-scalp wheels to a storage location with the wheels up....

Why can't you lower the deck ( onto the wheels ) and then
pull it sideways on its wheels . Why do you need to lower it
flat on the deck-pressing and reverse over it with the front
tractor wheels ? :confused:

Last edited:
   / Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck? #9  
I've been wondering why Deere removed the stow-and-go brackets from the more recent 62D decks. Someone suggested it was a cost cutting move, but I can't imagine that Deere would do that when they hyped it as a feature in all the videos and sales literature.

I think they were afraid of liability from people being injured by using the stow-and-go feature to pick the deck up and work underneath it to change the blades. I can see it being tempting to do exactly that, but also potentially dangerous.

My 2520 and 62D we're bought when they still had the brackets. With my iMatch hitch, picking the deck up and moving it around is a breeze. It's one of the reasons I wanted the setup I have, and it's a shame that more recent buyers don't have this feature.

/ Is the 62D deck a floating or ground contact deck? #10  
Why can't you lower the deck ( onto the wheels ) and then pull it sideways on its wheels . Why do you need to lower it
flat on the deck-pressing and reverse over it with the front
tractor wheels ? :confused:

Hmmf, not sure I totally understand your note, but let me try.

What you're saying is why not pull (er push) the mower deck out from under the tractor from the side, instead of driving over it for removal/installation. If the deck is not driven over for installation and removal, then the anti-scalp wheel pins do not need to be released.

We'll I'll need to try this, but I think the 62D deck on the 2520 is physically too large to be pulled out sideways from under the tractor. Also, the rear anti-scalp wheels are fixed (as opposed to castered) and which will require more effort.