is the L2800 right for my needs?

/ is the L2800 right for my needs? #1  

Diesel_Boy

Silver Member
hi. i'm new to TBN, but like all the great info and ideas. thinking about purchasing a tractor next spring and been doing a little research on the specs. i'm leaning toward an L2800, possibly gear driven, with an FEL. i plan on eventually rototilling several small gardens, FEL work to move a little dirt around but mostly to move around 4 foot logs, and to do stationary work such as powering a wood spitter and cordwood saw. i also want to move around 4' x 4' pallets of firewood with pallet forks attached to the front of the FEL. was wondering if the L2800 would be a good choice, with enough lifting power for the pallets of firewood, and also whether gear driven instead of hydro is advisable. i understand the hydro is a great time saver, but will really be puttering around on the weekends for a few hours here and there. i also appreciate the gain of HP on the PTO over the hydro. thanks for any help and input.

/ is the L2800 right for my needs? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( and also whether gear driven instead of hydro is advisable. i understand the hydro is a great time saver, but will really be puttering around on the weekends for a few hours here and there. i also appreciate the gain of HP on the PTO over the hydro. )</font>
We bought a B2910 HST (Hydro) about a year and a half ago. Eventually the primary use will be mowing but right now (and for the past year and a half) I've been doing alot of loader work - I personally would not want to own a gear tractor for doing loader work - the ability to immediately change direction and vary speed is just way too handy. FWIW.

/ is the L2800 right for my needs? #3  
I would agree with rswyan on the advantages of hydro for doing loader work. If HP is a serious concern, I would recommend you opt for the L3400. The small difference in price is more than worth the increase in HP, unless you are getting some kind of super deal on an L2800.

/ is the L2800 right for my needs? #4  
I'd steer you away from the gear drive for the PTO work you need to do. Yes it does work and many people have been happy with the system but it is not as user friendly as other systems. The hydro does help overcome this and as an option the 3400 has a better system yet.

/ is the L2800 right for my needs? #5  
I've got a 4400 and have done a fair amount of loader work. I'm sure that HST makes it easier, but I'm not sure that the gear drive limits you in any significant way. I put mine in second gear and use the hi-lo-reverse shifter when using the loader. Reverse and Low are directly opposite one another and shifting is very quick. I prefer manual in all my vehicles so clutching is second nautre to me. The 4400 is gear drive only but if I were buying the 2800 or the 3400 I'd opt for the gear drive anyway. I like the simplicity, the lower cost and the improved power.

Having said that, if you have the money and won't miss the small loss of power, the HST is a pleasure to operate.