Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n?

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #11  
I can't think of a single diesel that's 60 years old, has manual steering, transmission driven hydraulics & PTO and only 4 speeds with dry brakes prone to oil soaking and a 6 volt electrical system. There's nothing quite like an 8N, thank God.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #12  
Rick,
Never been around an Oliver, or JD then? Your sig says so, but I think Oliver's clumsy double h shift pattern and JD's touchy hand clutch and 2pt lift can rival any faults the 8N had.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #13  
Rick,
Never been around an Oliver, or JD then? Your sig says so, but I think Oliver's clumsy double h shift pattern and JD's touchy hand clutch and 2pt lift can rival any faults the 8N had.

My grandfather bought his first new tractor in 1949, a Cockshutt 30 that was the first tractor I ever drove. We never had a tractor on the farm that didn't have Independent PTO and live hydraulics. I have driven tractors of many makes & models over the last 45 years, and I can't think of a single one I'd trade for an 8N, except a 2N or 9N.

I post this just to show that there are different opinions & thougths about tractors, as most things. My idea of an 8N tuneup kit is a road flare stuck in the gas tank with a lit match applied to the top.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #14  
My idea of an 8N tuneup kit is a road flare stuck in the gas tank with a lit match applied to the top.

come on now.. don't hold back. :)

As much as I like old fords.. I don't intend to own another 9-2-8 N either... I got them already.. but won't buy more. My wife continually finds old tractors by the roadside and tells me about them.. many of them lately are N in good price range ( bad economy? ).. ie.. running decent N in the 1000-1500$ range.

I still pass them by for the later 00/01/000 series. so much more you can really do with them.

soudnguy

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #15  
as for the $3000 if you are not in a hurry you will find one stay away from auctions some guys get the biding fever lol and no one told you if you go for the Massey 35 to stay away from the 4 cylinder they are hared to start the 3 cylinder Perkin's run nice and lots of power ---your best bet if you se noe as your going down the road pull in and ask ---you will have one with in a month :thumbsup:

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #16  
I would consider looking for something like an International B-414. Would be a nice, more modern diesel upgrade to an 8n. 36 pto hp with live pto, and 3 pt with draft control, power steering was optional. Decent ones around here are around $3500.00 without a FEL, although I've seen some that sellers are asking stupid money for. Tough and reliable little early 60's tractors.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #17  
I have seen Massey 135's for about that price and also for half that money some David Brown's. They were twice the HP of a 8N but can be had for under $2000 in this area. I think they were 880 series tractors for the DB.

Chris

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #18  
By comparable I mean in price and available of parts.

We have the usual problems, money anemia and tractor deprivation. The prices and selection of 8n tractors here (NE TX) and the power seems in line with what we're looking for however we would really like a diesel. Are there a few models of high production quantity tractors that are inexpensive and have the availability of parts of the 8n? The horsepower of the 8n is on the bottom end of what we want. The biggest problem when looking for tractors on craigslist, etc. is there are so many choices it is difficult to research brands and parts availability. If we could filter it down to 3-4 models it would greatly simplify our search. On the high end we would like to keep the purchase price under $3K for the tractor.

Good day

In Jul06 I bought a 1964 MF135 diesel (45 hp engine, 37 hp pto) for $3600. Parts-no proble. Lots of 135s still around and for sale.

The 135 has the 3-cyl Perkins engine, one of the best tractor diesels ever.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #19  
I have seen Massey 135's for about that price and also for half that money some David Brown's. They were twice the HP of a 8N but can be had for under $2000 in this area. I think they were 880 series tractors for the DB.

Chris

I like DB's.. but parts availabilty scares me.

Ditto your price range.. 8xx and 9xx db's can be had for about 2000$ here..

soundguy

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #20  
My idea of an 8N tuneup kit is a road flare stuck in the gas tank with a lit match applied to the top.

Now I don't care what kind of tractor your partial to...that's funny!