Is there a "free food app"?

/ Is there a "free food app"? #11  
At our local food bank, a lot of those cars are picking up food to deliver to those that can't get to the food bank themselves. We'd get 50-60 cars in a night, and I'd guess that about 25% of them were doing it for other people.

While I'm sure there are people that abuse it, the ones that I saw didn't appear to be.

We packed thousands of weekend lunches for school kids each week, and skids and skids of boxes of food for seniors each week.

As for people saying there's no excuse for not working in today's job market, there's a few thoughts on that. The general line of thinking is if you aren't working, you're either unemployable or don't want to work. Well, what's a single parent with several kids gonna do with their kids while they're at work? What if you're the primary caregiver for an elderly person? What if you're physically unable to work, or mentally incompetent? We've come across many people that fit these categories over our few short years at the food bank.

/ Is there a "free food app"? #12  
Most people that receive food handouts are not truly in need. Like shooterdon said you know most people in these communities.

I have seen that those truly in need will not seek assistance.

Charity is seeing an actual need and personally addressing it. Enabling bad lifestyle choices is not charity. Its aiding and abetting.

I helped a lady, who received about $400 a month in social security and food stamps, get heating oil assistance.
While waiting in the room for my chance to file her forms, you could hear all the talk of how to hide funds in other accounts and registering vehicles in other names. The networking if where they could get something free was remarkable.

For most of them its a lifestyle choice.

/ Is there a "free food app"? #14  
"...teach a man to fish...". I think the best of these programs have the needy volunteer to serve others in their turn. There will always be those too old or physically unable to work. Charity is for them.

Like others have said, for some, this is a life choice. I work in a school district where 75% of students are considered economically disadvantaged. Most of those in the worst situations are there through no fault of their own. Some are there because they ran away or got kicked out because they would not follow rules at home. Ultimately, it is my job to help them understand that they are not condemned to that life.

Part of the problem is that we have two opposite measures of success in dealing with homelessness or public charity. One measures success by showing how many are served. The other measures success by how many are off the rolls. Which is right? Both? Neither? In my mind, any public money must be earned in some way. You want public charity, put in 40 hours doing something, even if that is sitting in a classroom or picking up trash on a roadside or digging and refilling holes. Preferably, some experience that will help someone get gainful employment. This approach makes it uncomfortable enough that people will be better off choosing to work, but will have a safety net if, for whatever reason, that is not possible.

/ Is there a "free food app"? #15  
That was maybe a good excuse a 1.5 years ago. There’s zero excuse to not have a job now. Every business in the whole country is critically understaffed. That’s not taking into account all the government hand outs. How many people actually went with nothing?
Most of the jobs i've seen around here, are entry level jobs, stuff we did as teenagers, back in the day, now being done by adults with family. They don't pay well. There is a large corporate retailer in the area that pays peanuts, only does part time so it doesn't have to pay for benefits. These large corporate retailers use our tax money to subsidize their employees. We used to drive into town and volunteer at food banks and kitchens. I'd say 90+% were not able to hold a job. Most of those had mental issues, the rest bad health kept them from working.

/ Is there a "free food app"? #16  
The app is called social media and it has turned a lot of people into professional beggars.

It's seems people can hide behind a $1,000 phone screen and have no shame to beg others for a hand out.

/ Is there a "free food app"? #17  
I knew a local politician that held onto his parent's funds so that they could get free old age housing.

Then U have the tax dodgers that keep 2 accounts since the know that the gov't can seize them for non payment.

Corporations are the worst.
They have royalties paid to offshore accounts while the materials or raw product is sold locally and often even subsidized.

Phone companies that are subsidized for construction and upkeep while their corporate jets fly the brass to the offshore retreats. The jets registered to another division.

Then I knew of a 'volunteer' that 'donated' his time at a good will store mainly to enjoy first picks.
He'd wear high end designer clothing that he'd obtain as a perk for being a volunteer, OK he'd actually pay a 'rags price' just for the form. That individual really worked the scam until they caught on. He can be seen every week at the local flea market with his trailer loads of free goods.
I can't understand how some can live like that.

Last edited:
   / Is there a "free food app"? #18  
People are waiting in line for food.

In line for food.
What's your point?
I wonder how many of those people waiting in line for food have I-phones, maybe one for each member of the household? Not a cheapie pay-as-you-go flip phone, but a pricey I-phone? Likewise, how much do these same people spend a week on cigarettes/booze/pot/other addictions?
Most of the jobs i've seen around here, are entry level jobs, stuff we did as teenagers, back in the day, now being done by adults with family. They don't pay well. There is a large corporate retailer in the area that pays peanuts, only does part time so it doesn't have to pay for benefits. These large corporate retailers use our tax money to subsidize their employees. We used to drive into town and volunteer at food banks and kitchens. I'd say 90+% were not able to hold a job. Most of those had mental issues, the rest bad health kept them from working.
Still better than no job at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's taken a low-paying job when necessary until I could find a better one. McDonalds, Walmart and many other employers are offering $15 or more an hour and still not getting many takers. While not riches, in many parts of the country that's pretty good money.

Not trying to sound like the grinch here...I'm sure there are the truly needy but there are also a lot that freeload because they can. There's a culture where the view is that anyone who'd work a menial job is a fool when they can go on the dole and do better. As someone else noted, word on how to game the system gets around fast.

Lots of blame to go around here, ranging from urban renewal projects that result in many being priced out of housing, off-shoring/automation of manufacturing jobs and parents who never taught their kids any work ethic. This situation has been decades in the making.

/ Is there a "free food app"? #19  
What's your point?
I wonder how many of those people waiting in line for food have I-phones, maybe one for each member of the household? Not a cheapie pay-as-you-go flip phone, but a pricey I-phone? Likewise, how much do these same people spend a week on cigarettes/booze/pot/other addictions?

Still better than no job at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's taken a low-paying job when necessary until I could find a better one. McDonalds, Walmart and many other employers are offering $15 or more an hour and still not getting many takers. While not riches, in many parts of the country that's pretty good money.

Not trying to sound like the grinch here...I'm sure there are the truly needy but there are also a lot that freeload because they can. There's a culture where the view is that anyone who'd work a menial job is a fool when they can go on the dole and do better. As someone else noted, word on how to game the system gets around fast.

Lots of blame to go around here, ranging from urban renewal projects that result in many being priced out of housing, off-shoring/automation of manufacturing jobs and parents who never taught their kids any work ethic. This situation has been decades in the making.
The point is, they may need some support, like for instance food, till they can get a better paying job. And you are correct, many of us have taken low paying jobs, more than once, as necessary. I for one have never been on unemployment or assistance, partially because of me, but also a bit of luck too.

/ Is there a "free food app"? #20  
When a beggar asks for help, reach down and hand him a tin of soup/stew, but duck, it's cash he wants.

In Montreal we had a well known legless organ grinder that sat there cranking on any nice day.
When his shift was over he'd go around the corner and drive away in his luxury sedan.

Yesterday I was at a local dollar store.
Being nice and sunny there was a guy asking for my spare change.
When I offered him a days work he refused saying he had no car.