Oil & Fuel Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #1  

ulflyer

Bronze Member
Tractor
CK 30H
I've read a number of articles about lack of lubricity in ultra low sulfur fuel and the need to add certain addtives to make up for this. Some are soy bio-diesel products, another is Opti-lube, etc. It never occurred to me that our late model Kioti tractors needed fuel additives. I doubt all the truckers on the road are using these products. I use the same fuel as they do.

What say you folks?

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #2  
The refineries add all the necessary lubricants needed for your engine to run safely on Diesel.

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #3  
The refineries add all the necessary lubricants needed for your engine to run safely on Diesel.

Agreed, but if a can or two of snake oil a couple of times a year makes you feel better then go ahead and waste your money.
Available NOW from a Fear mongers' shop near you, but the benefit is purely as a placebo (-:

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #4  
I've read a number of articles about lack of lubricity in ultra low sulfur fuel and the need to add certain addtives to make up for this. Some are soy bio-diesel products, another is Opti-lube, etc. It never occurred to me that our late model Kioti tractors needed fuel additives. I doubt all the truckers on the road are using these products. I use the same fuel as they do.

What say you folks?
Is there a NEED? Well, in a word, NO. It's not a necessity.

Necessary, yes. Optimally, no.
If that were the case, then why does the local fuel wholesaler add Power Service Diesel Kleen to all of their diesel fuel? They add 5 gallons of the super concentrate formula to every tanker load.

Agreed, but if a can or two of snake oil a couple of times a year makes you feel better then go ahead and waste your money.
Available NOW from a Fear mongers' shop near you, but the benefit is purely as a placebo (-:
Some people wouldn't consider increased lubricity, resulting in less wear and greater fuel efficiency "snake oil" or a "placebo." :D

In addition to the Diesel Kleen, every now and then I also put in a little Lucas Fuel additive. BTW, the manager of that same fuel supplier puts the Lucas in his personal truck as well.

Just my :2cents:

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #5  
many will say yes... many will say no...

Additives for anti gelling if you are carrying over from one temp extreme to another is a must.

Lubricity... maybe not but if it makes you feel better probably not much down side other the the $ amount involved.

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #6  
Is there a NEED? Well, in a word, NO. It's not a necessity.

Necessary, yes. Optimally, no.
If that were the case, then why does the local fuel wholesaler add Power Service Diesel Kleen to all of their diesel fuel? They add 5 gallons of the super concentrate formula to every tanker load.

Some people wouldn't consider increased lubricity, resulting in less wear and greater fuel efficiency "snake oil" or a "placebo." :D

In addition to the Diesel Kleen, every now and then I also put in a little Lucas Fuel additive. BTW, the manager of that same fuel supplier puts the Lucas in his personal truck as well.

Just my :2cents:

Local fuel wholesalers are as gullible as anyone who used all that STP in the way_back_when_ago (-:
"Managers" aren't exempt from sales drivel either.

Hmmm STP; as I recall .....Ahh, never mind, I wouldn't want to still be driving a Ford Torino from that era around anyway.

Point is what the refineries put in is adequate to take just about anything any of us would drive "into the ground", more is clearly a senseless waste of money.
Your money - and that nonsense about a can of that for a few bux being a lot cheaper than a new engine for several Kbux ?
Sure, except it doesn't apply (-:

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #7  
Reg said:
Local fuel wholesalers are as gullible as anyone who used all that STP in the way_back_when_ago (-:
"Managers" aren't exempt from sales drivel either.

Hmmm STP; as I recall .....Ahh, never mind, I wouldn't want to still be driving a Ford Torino from that era around anyway.

Point is what the refineries put in is adequate to take just about anything any of us would drive "into the ground", more is clearly a senseless waste of money.
Your money - and that nonsense about a can of that for a few bux being a lot cheaper than a new engine for several Kbux ?
Sure, except it doesn't apply (-:
Never used STP or had a Torino. :laughing:
But, I have been running diesel engines for more than 35 years. It's how I make my living, and maintain my farm. I'm not a mechanical or chemical engineer, just an equipment operator, truck driver, and part-time farmer.

. . .
What say you folks?
The OP asked for opinions. I gave mine. You have yours.

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #8  
Snake oil or not, my tractor definitely runs quieter and smoother with it. I'd rather be gullible and spend $20 a year than a wise guy and have to spend $1000 on a new injector pump or worse.

I will continue to use power service in every tank full.

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives
Giddyup: what is "power service" ?

/ Is there a need for Diesel Fuel Additives #10  
Powerservice is a brand of diesel additive. They make a blend for summer use (gray bottle), a blend for winter that helps with gelling (white bottle), and an emergency blend if your fuel has gelled (red bottle).
I use powerservice. Who am I to believe? Reg, who is one voice, the 35 year trucker who has seen it all, some oil executive who says that everything needed is in there, or my own experiences? You asked for opinions, and you are getting them. Brow beating has no place here.
My take- sulfur was a lubricant in diesel fuel, which has been greatly reduced. Using a replacement to give added lubrication is helpful. My 12 valve Cummins is not a new diesel engine, designed with low sulfur diesel fuel in mind. So, I have no problem using Powerservice in my equipment. And, I will not be bullied by those who are so opposed to it. The OP asked for opinions- state yours and move on.