Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck?

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #61  
Never seen them before. They look cool! Appears to be plastic. Good post, thanks. (y)
View attachment 862582
*edit-Stainless steel too! Food grade o rings for seals. Very cool!
View attachment 862583
The best ones are metal. Here is one of the original manufacturers. There are others out there selling cheaper cans, but they are significantly lighter gauge metal and don't hold up as well.

Last edited:
   / Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #62  
I'm currently using 5 gal poly fuel cans for gas and diesel and put them on the ground when I fill them.

I'm contemplating going up to 10 or 15 gallon cans, and I know they make 50+ gallon poly tanks with pump that have fork slots in them. All those sizes pose a problem getting back into the truck when full at the gas station.
Is it safe to fill those larger tanks in the bed of a truck? Gasoline especially since I use more of that than diesel. If so, do any special precautions need to be taken?
I have a spray in bed liner in my truck if it matters.
Here in New Zealand, all fuel outlets require the fuel nozzle to be earthed through the hose as a lot of new cars have plastic fuel tanks so along as you touch the nozzle to the tank you should not have any issues.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #63  
and again I learn something new. I've always been taught and filled jerry cans from the ground.

but the grounding / static straps is a new idea to me, I'll need to look for them. thanks.

i guess that they are a similar idea to the straps put on vehicles to prevent motion sickness.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck?
Here in New Zealand, all fuel outlets require the fuel nozzle to be earthed through the hose as a lot of new cars have plastic fuel tanks so along as you touch the nozzle to the tank you should not have any issues.
That would be great.
It's Tuesday and the night all the volunteer fire departments meet up. I'd going to head to the closest one and ask the same question regarding filling in the truck. Will post back what I hear.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #65  

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #66  
The gas can ignites in the bed of the truck before he starts pumping fuel!

This has been a good thread revealing real dangers I never thought about before. I personally, will never fill my portable tanks again when they are not on the ground.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #67  
I never let go of the pump handle when fueling. I keep my hand grounded to the pump at all times that way there won't be a spark between me and the handle.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck?
Just got back from the fire station, very interesting. Insert every Alabama stereotype ever.
"Same as the dagum 5gal cans they fill in the back of pickup trucks all the time, shouldn't be any problem."

That was pretty much it. I'll call a different fire station tomorrow lol