Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust?

/ Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust? #21  
I'm sorry, but the environmental impact of preserving implements on a hobby farm basis is negligible. I take this position relative to outdoor storage. Farmers who rely on agriculture to feed their family and work toward a nest egg will have indoor storage. As such, the relatively small amount of used engine oil that comes off a preserved implement in the spring should be less of a consideration than would be accelerated aging - and premature replacement - of steel implements. Economic reality trumps pie-in-the-sky environmentalism.

I witnessed this approach personally during those years I lived in rural Scotland. The farmers would save used tractor and implement fluids during the year, then apply it with a paint brush or sprayer at the end of the season. Come spring, they just powerwash them with degreaser, and it's back to the fields for another season. Something about the way the degreaser breaks down the oil also contributes to negligible environmental impact.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust? #22  
Anyone tried that stuff Rustoleum came out with? Never wet or something like that.

/ Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust? #23  
The product KEL 1-2-3 works very well for seasonal storage.

Waxy in nature, It lasts about a year. I use it on just about everything that I don't want to rust. Even my vehicle underbody. I buy it at the hardware store.

Cheers

/ Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust? #26  
If you're truly concerned about environmental impact, use MIG welding anti-spatter spray. It's not typically petroleum based (not the stuff I have in my fabrication shop) and not harmful or hazardous in any way. I'm pretty sure the stuff I use in the fab shop is actually corn oil based and it sticks quite well. Other than actual wear, I have to use paint thinner (not environmentally safe at all I'm sure) to remove it when prepping for paint. Also, it's a little sticky so it doesn't just fall off. That's my answer.

Also, if you like the smell of movie popcorn, heat up your implements and then spray it on. :)

/ Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust?
I'm not an enviro-freak or tree hugger but if there is something that I can use that doesn't have runoff into my drinking water, it's an easy answer.

/ Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust? #28  
I'm not an enviro-freak or tree hugger but if there is something that I can use that doesn't have runoff into my drinking water, it's an easy answer.

Unless you're dumping gallons of it, the naturally occurring microbes in the soil will break down oils rather quickly, and before it gets to the water table.

It's the nasty compounds created by combustion byproducts in USED motor oil, that might present any real problems to health.;)

The tackiest cheap chainsaw Bar oil, makes some of the best GP lube/preservative out there, as it stays put as a film.

If there's a motorcycle shop nearby, one of the best storage lubes out there can be had for 5 bucks a can.
Maxxima chain Wax. It's paraffin based and sets up like a semi-solid. Works for outside storage real well too.
Nothing is better for roller chains.

/ Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust? #29  
might have to try me some of that..
With all your equipment, do yourself a favor and try some Fluid Film. I could go on for hours listing everything I use it for. One of my favorites is electrical connections, especially battery terminals. Tight and bright, then apply FF. You'll never have a bad connection after that.
Up here, it is great for preventing rust on snow removal equipment. It creeps a long way. Works great on fertilizer spreaders before use, and it soaks into rust to stop it on older equipment.

/ Is there anything I can spray on equipment to prevent winter rust? #30  
Well I am a big fan of Fluid Film but I bet motorcycle chain lube and chainsaw lube would work well too..