Is this a bad idea?

/ Is this a bad idea? #21  
The 2516 isn't enough tractor. I'm afraid you are about to buy too small again. I'd want something with loader lift specs of 2400+ lbs and lots of weight (> 6000 lbs with backhoe), two sets of rear remotes, a grapple with third function control on joystick, and some extra undercarriage protection. A logging winch too. I'm familiar with Harpers Ferry. A lot of steep land around there, depending on where you are. I'd also want wide with loaded tires.

As many have mentioned, stumps on any CUT tractor are a lot of work. If you have more than a dozen or so, I'd be looking for alternative methods. Case in point:

I had a 2' diameter Norway maple in my backyard. Just got the new tractor with backhoe and decided to take it out. Well, before I got it out, I had an 18' diameter hole, probably 10 -12 hours of backhoe time, and a couple of broken tow chains to show for it. I got it out, but it was a lot of work and very hard on the tractor. Beside it I had another identical tree. Guy came in with a huge excavator. Stump was out in about 15 minutes, leaving a much smaller hole. That excavator ripped that big ol stump out of there like it was a soft weed. That convinced me I wasn't well equipped for stump work. Backhoes are mighty handy even on a CUT, just not for 2000 lb stumps.

/ Is this a bad idea? #22  
I personally would go with the biggest TLB you can afford. You will never encounter a situation where you find yourself saying "Gee I wish I had less power." I drive my 35 HP JD 4410 through the bush. My only area of concerns was I bouht mine used wih turf tires and they don't provide much traction in the mud. They do give me some decent traction in the snow however when plowing my driveway.

/ Is this a bad idea? #23  
We are talking 4 acres guys. This is a lot size routinely managed with 20-25hp CUTs. The only thing different here is the need to dig out some very large stumps and rocks. Those can be subcontracted to a commercial excavator. Why do you need 35-45hp on 4 acres???

/ Is this a bad idea? #24  
The 2516 isn't enough tractor. I'm afraid you are about to buy too small again. I'd want something with loader lift specs of 2400+ lbs and lots of weight (> 6000 lbs with backhoe), two sets of rear remotes, a grapple with third function control on joystick, and some extra undercarriage protection. A logging winch too. I'm familiar with Harpers Ferry. A lot of steep land around there, depending on where you are. I'd also want wide with loaded tires.

As many have mentioned, stumps on any CUT tractor are a lot of work. If you have more than a dozen or so, I'd be looking for alternative methods. Case in point:

I had a 2' diameter Norway maple in my backyard. Just got the new tractor with backhoe and decided to take it out. Well, before I got it out, I had an 18' diameter hole, probably 10 -12 hours of backhoe time, and a couple of broken tow chains to show for it. I got it out, but it was a lot of work and very hard on the tractor. Beside it I had another identical tree. Guy came in with a huge excavator. Stump was out in about 15 minutes, leaving a much smaller hole. That excavator ripped that big ol stump out of there like it was a soft weed. That convinced me I wasn't well equipped for stump work. Backhoes are mighty handy even on a CUT, just not for 2000 lb stumps.

I agree but disagree. You are right that a 25hp TLB is not going to handle a 2000lb+ stump but even a 45hp CUT TLB will have quite a challenge with something that big and would not be an efficient way of removing many of them. It would likely take the better part of a day to dig something that big out. I think a 25hp TLB would be just right for his size property if combined with an occasional visit by an excavator to remove the big stumps and rocks.

/ Is this a bad idea? #25  
Large oak stump removed. Dug out with 41hp tractor, 2760lb FEL capacity, Woods BH90x, ripper and grapple as well as a bit of shovel work. Did not do it all at once but I think it took three or maybe four hours anyway. Would have taken a real excavator about three minutes and would not have left an 8x8 foot hole.

Attachments

• IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    997.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Ripper 00157.jpg
    Ripper 00157.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Ripper 00176.jpg
    Ripper 00176.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 139
   / Is this a bad idea? #26  
Large oak stump removed. Dug out with 41hp tractor, 2760lb FEL capacity, Woods BH90x, ripper and grapple as well as a bit of shovel work. Did not do it all at once but I think it took three or maybe four hours anyway. Would have taken a real excavator about three minutes and would not have left an 8x8 foot hole.

That's quite a stump! Really do like that "tooth of death" on your backhoe, too!! :thumbsup:

Heartily agree with your perspective on a good TLB size for 4 acres with stumps and rocks as well. 25Hp is most likely adequate for a majority of the projects he's likely to take on.

The bigger jobs can be subbed out or he can rent a big 'ol hoe!

AKfish

/ Is this a bad idea? #27  
Yes, if he's not going to tackle the stumps, then all he needs is a small tractor of the other things. However, if he's doing several (> 6 or 7) large stumps, he's best to sub it out. Or if he insists on doing it, need a bigger tractor, and not sure a 45 hp is even enough, as has been pointed out. But, it's not about horsepower. It's about weight, and hydraulics. The Mahindra 2516 just isn't enough of either for serious backhoe work.

The number of acres doesn't really dictate tractor size. Tasks do. I have a 6000+ lb TLB, 25 hp on only 2.5 acres. It's the perfect size for my chores. However, I gave up on big stumps at stump no 3 - a man and his machine has to know their limitations. For small trees (<10" trunk), it works great though. I've finished most of my big chores and really don't need such a "big" tractor any more. But, I'm not selling. Too darn handy when you want a real tractor

/ Is this a bad idea?
WOW,

I worked today and could not believe the amount of new posts when I came home. We have an excavation contractor that we used as a consultant for drainage issues. He has equipment that he can bring up for a a decently low price. I just have to wait until he is doing another job up here though. Since we have this option we are going with the 25 hp tractor. I am buying a root ripper for the bucket to make it easier doing the smaller stumps. We have no time line for these projects since we have so much going on and work lousy shifts. I really appreciate all the help and I will let everyone know how it goes when we start working on everything.

Gittyup,

We are on the side of the Blue Ridge Mountain. It's not so bad as far as being steep with the lot the house is on, but the lots above us get steep.

/ Is this a bad idea? #29  
Be careful and always wear your seat belt.

/ Is this a bad idea? #30  
Gittyup said:
Be careful and always wear your seat belt.

And make sure the wheels are set at the widest track and have 75% fill with liquid ballast of your choice. Anything to keep center of gravity low.