Is this a disc or a plow?

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #21  
hey I'm lookin for a john deere oneway if you know where one is call 3087080225 please

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #24  
I realize this is an old thread, but it's dear to my heart so I have to put in my two cents worth.
The one in Ken's photo with separate attachment points for each disc is what I know as a disc plow, just like Ken said. The ones with a single axle through several disc are what I call a disc tiller. The photo Egon posted is a good example of the disc tiller. The ones I've used were branded J.D. and Athens. I preferred the Athens possibly because mine had less wear than the J.D. that I used, it also seemed heavier . The guy who bought my Athens wanted to use it to turn under straw behind a combine. The Athens came in both a rubber tired and steel wheeled models. Wrestling with the weighted rear wheel to install a tire was a bear, so, if I ever get another one l'd like to try one with all steel wheels.
Somewhere on the internet I ran across an article describing how after using the disc tiller for enough years so much dirt is eventually thrown toward the edge of the field that the field comes to be shaped like a bowl. That's probably why the offset gang disk became more popular.
Now somebody please get busy and help bteny10 find a oneway. See previous 4 posts. Sorry I stepped on your posts btenny.

Last edited:
   / Is this a disc or a plow? #25  
If you reverse the direction of the initial pass every thing goes back to the original.

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #26  
We always used the one-way instead of a plow when we were flipping wheat or barley stubble. It was a lot faster than a plow and it would do more of a flip than a disk. it is about half way cultivation wise between the two. As mentioned it is good only in soft or previously tilled ground. If we were working with hard ground or ground that had not been worked in a while the plow would come out. Most of the time we would use it in conjunction with summer fallow. Flip the stubble in the spring, keep it bare in the summer with the rod weeder and then plant in the fall (winter wheat). Now keep in mind this was several decades ago so yes, it isn't the current farming philosophy.

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #27  
Go to You Tube and do a search for "disk plow". Lots of good stuff...

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #29  
A couple more that are interesting.
a162637.jpg
a87447.jpg
a140804.jpg

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #30  
Here's mine. Athens Disc, I believe. I need to check the name.
Works great.
IMG00029-20090319-1808.jpg

Attachments

• tbnprof.jpg
    tbnprof.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 127