is this crabgrass? or something else

/ is this crabgrass? or something else #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
Can someone please help identify this weed/grass. Is it crabgrass?

20150625_164550.jpg

/ is this crabgrass? or something else #2  
I'd suggest asking either a local agronomist or your State agriculture University (Agronomist) for specific advice. I also believe that certain US States/Counties have agronomist services.

/ is this crabgrass? or something else #4  
Looks like all of the crab grass I've seen.

It looks like crabgrass to me too, but the seed heads appear out of kilter with my memory. I will have to check the numerous specimens I have growing in my lawn come tomorrow morning.

Steve

/ is this crabgrass? or something else #5  
It looks like crabgrass to me too, but the seed heads appear out of kilter with my memory. I will have to check the numerous specimens I have growing in my lawn come tomorrow morning.

Steve

All in the name of science, of course, Steve?

You are a champion amongst men!

/ is this crabgrass? or something else #6  
Crabgrass typically grows low to the ground, at least around here. This looks more upright like a bermudagrass or oatgrass. Just depends what is common in Texas. See if there are hairs on the leaf where it attaches to the stem. That will rule in or out certain grasses in your area.

/ is this crabgrass? or something else #7  
its looks a little like what we call 'wire grass' around here.. which is a cousin of bermuda grass

when you let it grow to tall ours get that head on it..

b

/ is this crabgrass? or something else #8  
Looks like Johnson grass. In some locations it's considered a noxious weed. Some places fertilize it, and bale it for cattle feed.

/ is this crabgrass? or something else #10  
Johnson grass. Fairly easy to kill out.
You want to get rid of it if you have horses.