Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do?

/ Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do? #1  

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
Who here thinks the parking brake on the Power Trac can be a little quirky to release? As you may know and for those that don't the parking brake consist of a cog wheel (like a gear on your bicycle chain, only big) and when you apply the parking brake, a pin moves between two teeth. The tractor then tends to drift causing the cog to rotate into the pin and when you want to release it you then have to move the tractor slightly in the opposite direction (whichever that is?) to get the pressure off the pins (one on each front wheel) for it to release. Although it only takes a few seconds, it feels like minutes if your in a hurry. So you don't use the parking brake like you should, right?

Here is a picture of my cure for this. It shows the mod done for only one brake which is a massive improvement, but you can do both. Here is how.
1. Loosen the lock bolt on the clevis and remove one cable.
2. Insert a strong spring in place of the cable (a strong spring is one where you can't pull it apart by hand.)
3. Cable clamp the other end of the spring to the park brake cable removed in step 1.
4. Adjust to the same spot or maybe a tad shorter.
5. Jack up and make sure it engages and releases as planed with enough extra, ie: the pin engages for some distance and not just barely in, and that the pin releases with a little more travel left in the release handle.

You might find a spring out of a drum brake kit for a pickup truck, I found some laying around the shop.

With two springs this mod allows you to just move the handle to release without dealing with getting the pins in a loose state. Once the handle is in the release position, the heavy springs are trying to pull the pins to release and when you steer the tractor they tend to pop right out. You can visible watch it happen and know you can hammer down on your way.
With one spring it allows you to concentrate on getting that one direct pin in a loose state then the handle can move to release and with spring tension on the other it pops out shortly.
Good luck.

Attachments

• Park brake mod.JPG
    Park brake mod.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 340
   / Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do? #2  
That's not a bad idea. Right now, i use my hand and arm for the spring, but it could be nice to just move the handle to release position and rock the PT till it pops out.

/ Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do? #3  
I always use my parking brake. I have to sometimes rock the forward/reverse pedals to get it to come off. I purchased the parking brake foot pedal assembly off of a 2000 Impala many years back with intentions of modifying it for the PT, as it's push on/push off. However, I got used to the PT brake and have adjusted it only once on 18 years, so I think I'm just gonna let that sleeping dog lie.

/ Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do? #4  
Those simple but effective designs are great.

/ Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do? #5  
I'm going to copy your parking brake design John! I'm surprised there haven't been more positive responsive to this design? Anyway, I'm going to do a double one and will show all of you some pictures of it when it's done.

/ Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do?
Good to hear it, I think you will love it.

/ Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do? #7  
I think this is a good idea, but after 20 years I hav gotten used to the brake as is.

/ Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do? #8  
I've had nothing but trouble with the brake! Is it really a brake or someone's idea of a brake. I like your mod and will do it for one of the wheels. Unfortunately my left brake has been inoperative for several years - the pin will not come out of the cylinder even when totally disconnected. Any thoughts how to release it?

/ Is this not the best Power trac mod you can do?
Power Trac tractors are pretty unconventional all the way around including the parking brake. It is a very simple rugged design and once you get used to how it works (and my spring release idea) it does work great. I have never had to take mine apart (plus differences in models and years), so my answer to you is speculative based on mechanical experience.
You would have to basically determine if the inoperative wheel's problem is in the "pin and cog" or the "cable and spring". Past experience tells me a broken spring or the cable would most likely get restrictive (inner cable not sliding EASILY inside outside sheath). I would spray up everything with penetrating oil especially the cable from the control lever to the wheel. Then you have to make sure the cable moves by itself when disconnected from the control lever. THE ONLY THING THAT APPLIES THE BRAKE, IS THE SMALL SPRING. The control lever only pulls it to the OFF position. So again, if the cable was dragging, you could use mussel to overpower the release, but the spring will not pull it to the on/applied position.
By memory, the parts books shows all the pieces. I would bet the cable is dragging.
The next thing to check would be to take the wheel off to get to the pin and cog, the pin should slide freely into the cog and is pushed there by the spring.
Simple, yes?