Is this overkill?

/ Is this overkill?
I have 2.5 acres with quite a bit of lawn and chose the BX-1500 to replace my old 20hp Yardman with sleeve hitch. It is plenty of tractor for this application.

/ Is this overkill? #12  
<font color="green">If you want one and can afford one, buy one. Life is too short to deny yourself such simple pleasures.</font>

Hi, I love statements like this one! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have been looking for the ideal tractor for my 2 acres for many months now... The thing is that I'm second guessing myself all the time now! Deep down I know what I want but I'm worried about it being too big.
I think I need to head to those dealers and make a deal before I decide not to buy anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sylvain

/ Is this overkill? #13  
Here's another way of looking at it... although it probably has just a hint of rationalization.

You can spend $3,000 on a "lawn tractor", which will depreciate to salvage value in just a few years. Or, you can spend somewhat more initially to get a real tractor, and maybe take $3,000 in depreciation over an equal number of years. About the same net cost to you, but you had use of much more capable equipment. Not to mention that good used equipment can sell for equal or more than initial purchase price.

As others have said, if you can afford it and want it, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

/ Is this overkill? #14  
<font color="blue"> If this isn't overkill, the New Holland TC 18 caught my eye </font>

That's not overkill. We live on a little more than one acre and this is what we use(also use it on 20 acres away from town and at the little league). Only took me 20 minutes to mow the yard last night /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> I'd rather have a compact tractor, especially since I plan on purchasing more land some time in the future.
</font>
The hard part is trying to size a tractor to fit your current and future needs. We bought a huge used tractor to get the majority of the big work done at our larger parcel, then downsized to this unit. Couldn't be happier.

PT425mainpic.jpg

/ Is this overkill? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have 2.5 acres with quite a bit of lawn and chose the BX-1500 to replace my old 20hp Yardman with sleeve hitch. It is plenty of tractor for this application. )</font>

I'm with Kevin on this. The BX1500 would give you many options for implements/loader later on. Your initial investment would be about like a high quality dedicated mower e.g. the zero turn diesel units.

Terry

/ Is this overkill? #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If this isn't overkill, the New Holland TC 18 caught my eye (I think its their former Ford ownership) or are there better options? )</font>

It's not the size of the property, it's the size & variety of the work load. I use my TC18 for my 2 acres. I could probably mow it 4hrs with my JD210 but I can do it in 1hr with my TC18. I've used it for everything from putting my lawn in to taking out the garbage. It's a great mowing machine, but it's the other work that justifies the cost and that's not dependant on lot size.