Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High #11  
In my little corner of GA., that price is pretty inline with what we're paying. Depending on the rental yard, I have quotes that range from $120-160 a day for a 60" tiller.

I agree with the point that prices are set on what the market will bear. In my area there are a LOT of hobby farms, horse estates, 5-10 acre owners,etc., which seem to be THE market for 3pt. hitch rentals. Personally, I can't justify buying a 3pt tiller for 1-2k when I only need it 3-4 times a year, if that. Seems a lot of folks feel the same way around here, usually a 3-4 week wait if you want something on the weekend.

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High #12  
I don't think that price is all that high compared to all the other stuff rental places rent. Most of it seems to go for about 1/4 of the price it costs to buy it. I've seen it even go as high as 1/3. The tiller is only about 1/7 of the price it costs to buy.

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High #13  
Jerry if you weren't so far away I'de tell you to bring your truck and load up my tiller to use for a weekend and save your money toward something that you really need. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High #14  
I would imigine that it is one of the items that comes back beat all to heck many times... i haven't checked tiller prices, but I am going to check rentals for one of the small bobcat crawler hoes, as I need to do some diggin inside my barn for my service pit/storm shelter this month. Even though I have a back hoe for my tractor, I can't justifyndriving in and getting a bucket full driving out and dumping it into my dump trailer and repeating the process when my hoe bucket only holds 1.5 cu feet. I need to spin the bucket 180 dump into my trailer attached to the tractor untill full then dump and repeat about 30 times. to get the clay & dirt out of the way. I want a approx 12' x 12' square 8' deep storm shelter at one end covered by concrete and then the service pit 5.5 feet deep by 15~20' long. I'll make cross brace/beams support the upper concrete over the shelter part. and same for bar grating cover for pit. 300~500 CFM exhaust inside the storm shelter venting outside and will have outside entrance/exit later on. 3 tornados past 2 years with in 5 miles of the place... so I better plan for INCASE.

Mark M

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High #15  
Mike..... it might just be easier and less time consuming/less expensive in the end, to just put an addition onto the barn and do the digging before hand, rather than the method you have just described. You would save the rental fee and the digging will go a lot quicker outside, than inside the barn. Besides, you can always use the additional space for more tractor accessories. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High #17  
<font color="blue"> Of course, that could explain my full barn and empty wallet.
</font>
Here, here!!

OkieG

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High
Thanks for all the replies. For now, I'm just going to use my walk behind unit and tough it out. maybe next year I'll sell the walk-behind and get a KK at TSC.

I had a similiar experience with an airless paint sprayer. The rental yard wanted $90 per day. I ended up buying a Wagner Paint Crew at Home Depot. The sprayer cost me $175 after the $25 rebate. I figure I only have to use it twice to beat the cost of renting. No, its not a commercial duty model. But, I only plan to use it once or twice a year. I painted my 8 x 10 (T1-11 sided) shed with it and it worked great (exterior latex).

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I live in Michigan and last fall I bought a 5 foot CCM tiller from a dealer in TN on this website and it was delivered to my house for a little over a grand. It was a little cheaper than TSC and it was already painted orange! )</font>

Gene, I live in Holt Mi and am building a log home in Eaton Rapids off of Whittum Rd. Do you know where I can rent a 3 point tiller in the area?

/ Is this Tiller Rental Fee Too High #20  
<font color="blue"> "maybe next year I'll sell the walk-behind and get a KK at TSC." </font>

Around here, at least, TSC discounts their KK tillers $100 or $200 this time of year so you might want to think about buying one in the 'off season' and selling your walk behind in the early springtime. Just a thought.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif