Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky?

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #31  
I'm going all the way back to the OP's original post and still trying to figure out why anyone who currently has a John Deere 5105 would be looking at a very similar sized Branson? Are you going to replace the JD with the Branson? Is there something that you don't like about the JD? And is so, what is better about the Branson?
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #32  
Looking at the pictures you posted and the ones at the dealer, I'd guess it was owned by someone who did construction work and had several folks operating it at various times. That loader bucket does not represent a bucket owned by someone who purchased a new tractor to use on his property for several years. You circled the grill guard on the left side. The right side looks just as bad, if not worse! Those same operators used the tractor for pushing something, that's why it's bent.

As mentioned, the torque tube being repaired is caused by a latch not being locked in and staying locked in. A somewhat common problem with SSQT. However, the way it was repaired once again tells me it's someone who doesn't really care how it's repaired. Just fix it and let's get to work.

I don't care if the guy would sell it for 10K I would not be interested. Too far away to get any help later. No matter what the dealer says, it's basically "as is-where is". You could end up after a few hours use with repair cost you can't imagine. The internals have received the same consideration from the owner as the parts you can see!

Didn't you say you wanted something to make life easier? Quit hoping you found a good deal. Find something close to home, and take your time looking.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #33  
IF and that is a big IF, I was to drive 10 hours for equipment in that condition I would want a great deal.

And for my first tractor I bought it off CL & drove 3 hrs to pick it (and the trailer) up, and almost everyone on here thought it was a steal.

If the dealer seems honest, has a good rep, and fixes the leak it seems you've already invested 10 hours and maybe $1,000. If your sure the engine is good and hasn't been gassed it seems ok. So if it fits you follow through.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #34  
Maybe my eyes are missing some of what others are seeing but my thoughts: the weld repair is terrible. It should be properly repaired. I have JD so do not understand how the bucket locks could cause the issue with the cross bar so no comment on that but have you set the tractor on level concrete and lowered it several times to be sure the fel is not twisted? Could it be the grill guard is bent from it being in position to open hood and fel was lowered on it twisting it? Sure does look odd the way the paint is rubbed off the grill guard, does make it look like possible used to push something rather solid but see no damage to the grill behind it so would have been a solid connection. Then could the grill guard have been left in the open hood position and using the fel rubbed the paint off?

As to the HST pedal and stalling at idle in high range my compact Kubota will do all those things. The whine you have to decide if normal or not. Is it load enough you need ear muffs? If so I would run away. Think you will find some whine in many HST.

On does the fel look like it has been greased enough....take a hand grease gun yourself and count the pumps it takes to push old grease out. If you pump and pump before old grease comes out was not greased as it should be but if say 8 to 10 pumps think they had decent grease in them. If you are getting old hard grease out then probably was not greased regularly.

Dent on pto shield, one drop of heavy third arm on tractor end could have done that. Rubber hammer should get that in decent shape. Missing third arm is not a big deal unless it is a special design or length. Allow maybe $200 for one. Do not remember now but is the fix draw bar on it? That would concern me more than third arm in replacing for you do need one made for that model tractor.

Now if you buy it, where is dealership to you for it?

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #35  
Looking at the pictures you posted and the ones at the dealer, I'd guess it was owned by someone who did construction work and had several folks operating it at various times. That loader bucket does not represent a bucket owned by someone who purchased a new tractor to use on his property for several years. You circled the grill guard on the left side. The right side looks just as bad, if not worse! Those same operators used the tractor for pushing something, that's why it's bent.

As mentioned, the torque tube being repaired is caused by a latch not being locked in and staying locked in. A somewhat common problem with SSQT. However, the way it was repaired once again tells me it's someone who doesn't really care how it's repaired. Just fix it and let's get to work.

I don't care if the guy would sell it for 10K I would not be interested. Too far away to get any help later. No matter what the dealer says, it's basically "as is-where is". You could end up after a few hours use with repair cost you can't imagine. The internals have received the same consideration from the owner as the parts you can see!

Didn't you say you wanted something to make life easier? Quit hoping you found a good deal. Find something close to home, and take your time looking.

I agree, how is he going to get any help in the future, I'd look elsewhere.. I think it's a train wreck..

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #36  
Always amazes me....tractor dealers and car dealers...can't even bother to shine it up, wash it, grease it, maybe vacuum it and remove the french fries the last owner left on the floor, etc. - just throw it out there and sell it to the next schmuck that comes along. I wouldn't want to buy anything used or new from a car dealer or tractor dealer that operates like that.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #37  
Always amazes me....tractor dealers and car dealers...can't even bother to shine it up, wash it, grease it, maybe vacuum it and remove the french fries the last owner left on the floor, etc. - just throw it out there and sell it to the next schmuck that comes along. I wouldn't want to buy anything used or new from a car dealer or tractor dealer that operates like that.

I thought that as well.. I have looked at vehicles that with a few simple things cleaned up and some simple cheap maintenance completed I might have stayed more than 15 seconds to have a better look. Shows they have no pride whatsoever..

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #38  
<snip>. Missing third arm is not a big deal unless it is a special design or length. Allow maybe $200 for one. Do not remember now but is the fix draw bar on it? That would concern me more than third arm in replacing for you do need one made for that model tractor.

Now if you buy it, where is dealership to you for it?
If by third arm you mean the toplink I look at that as a reason to buy a top 'n tilt.
And as far as support I've two tractors. One went to the shop in 2009 right after I bought it for installing a backhoe and frame, everything else has been done by mail order except when I took my front tires in to get new ones mounted.

I agree, how is he going to get any help in the future, I'd look elsewhere.. I think it's a train wreck..
As far as Branson support - I'm not sure about where in Birmingham the OP is but I've 2 dealers within about 20 miles of my Fulton, Mississippi location that I drive by on occasion. Don't have any near me in northern Virginia. Of course there my nearest Kubota dealer is about 40 miles away.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #39  
not to be rude - my question is - your looking at a low priced 47 hp hydro drive tractor , what do you expect ? if it was 1 of the big 3 47 hp with that low hours and hydro drive you would pay almost double ! not to bash the tractor [ that's against the rules ] but it is a less expensive to start tractor - do you think it will be as heavy duty as other more expensive brands. that's a lot of tractor -[47 hp - hydro drive ] for the money !

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #40  
Buy something new. I know you have a budget but throw down your down payment and finance the remainder, I finance even when I have the money to pay for it as long as I have a good rate. My $15,000 in the bank is better to me than a few hundred I might spend on interest. That’s just me.