Is Ventrac tough enough?

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #21  
Be aware that if you want a loader and a cab on a Ventrac, they are not compatible. The cab would have to be removed to used the "Versa Loader".
This is not the case for the skip bucket. It goes on just like other attachments.
The cab is a bit open in places, especially at the front. This is going to admit some snow when using the snowblower. But, heat is an option.
The attachments are difficult to line up with the hitch if you can't see the ends of the hitch arms, which is the case with the cab in place.
The cab is heavy and requires disconnection of coolant (heater)and electrical lines to remove. It does come with a lifting harness. You would need a chain hoist at the minimum and plenty of overhead room to remove it.
The Ventrac is great as a snow machine, the snowblower is very well built. Ventrac attachments are powered by a belt directly to a pulley off of the engine. This is very efficient compared to the all hydraulic setup of the Powertrac.
The Ventrac is also great as a mower, especially on slopes.
The Ventrac is hard for the DIY guy to work on as the engine is really packed into the machine with limited access to regular maintenance items like the engine oil filter. They are also famous for overheating and the radiator screen requires constant attention to keep it clean.
IMHO, the 26.5HP deisel is a better choice. The turbo charger on the 31HP is a very expensive part to replace, though the warranty is 3 years.
You need to figure in periodic transportation to the dealer for maintenance and repairs. Powertrac owners ARE the dealer and do all this themselves.
The Powertrac is a much more versatile machine and costs a whole lot less. I priced out a Ventrac 4226 with cab, snowblower, mower and versa loader(500lb capacity) with some other minor options and it came out north of $40K. Ouch!

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #23  
Lot of stuff here. Danny, when you go to the 4231 you get more than just an engine upgrade. I forget everything, but the foot spikes are really nice, and I wouldn't get one without them.

Johnny, one great thing about the VT is the seat. Better suspension than my $50,000 John Deere.

Moss, putting the loader on is definitely not quick. Like Johnny said, the slip scoop can be used to move stuff, but I would have to disagree with him that it is as good as a loader. No way..... You are right, nothing can do mowing and loading as good as a PT. The change time between the slip scoop and the mower is similar to the PT.

Cab is beautiful on the VT, but that thing has to be heavy. Two man job to take it off for sure.

Ventrac Cab Accessories

I've seen the slip scoop and it looks very useful for jobs where a higher lift is not required. How high can it lift and fully dump? I have a compost pile that is 4-5' high and I use the FEL on the PT not only to dump on to it, but to push it up and over as well.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #24  
I just wanted mention that I have absolutely nothing against Power Trac, nor was I trying to start any brand arguments. But like Badback, I wasn't sold on their snowblower, and I also hesitate to have a unit shipped all the way from Virginia sight unseen. I can go down to Mpls and check out the Ventracs and Steiners pretty easily.

Bulldog, the footrests are a $55 option on the 4131.

Danny

Its all a discussion and we all like power equipment. The only way to know which machine is right for you is to discuss ALL the abilities of ALL the machines and pick the one that suits you best, not me best. :laughing:

Personally, I would never have bought my PT425 without seeing one in person. I was fortunate enough to have just been walking through our downtown one day and came across a landscaper using one at the same time I was considering purchasing one. He gave me the grand tour and I was hooked. :)

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #25  
I have been looking at slope tractors. The oil lubrication in the engine is the limiting factor for engines on slopes. I talked to a Kubota engineer Steiner uses a Kubota engine. He said the oil was the problem. I asked why I haven't had problems with my farmall cub. He said I would probably be alright above 30 degree with a Kubota engine but they were not guaranteeing anything above 30. He also said that the Ventrac engine did not meet emission standards and they would be using a different engine. One additional factor is I believe the Ventrac is lighter than the large 8 wheeled powertrac and will have less problems in wet areas if that is a concern.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #26  
Moss Road,

The Ventrac catalog is not specific about the lift height. Judging from the pictures it looks to be about 12-14". Just enough to tip the slip scoop over with a couple of inches of ground clearance.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #27  
Thanks. I will peruse their website as time permits. :thumbsup:

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #29  
Lot of stuff here. Danny, when you go to the 4231 you get more than just an engine upgrade. I forget everything, but the foot spikes are really nice, and I wouldn't get one without them.

Johnny, one great thing about the VT is the seat. Better suspension than my $50,000 John Deere.

Moss, putting the loader on is definitely not quick. Like Johnny said, the slip scoop can be used to move stuff, but I would have to disagree with him that it is as good as a loader. No way..... You are right, nothing can do mowing and loading as good as a PT. The change time between the slip scoop and the mower is similar to the PT.

Cab is beautiful on the VT, but that thing has to be heavy. Two man job to take it off for sure.

Ventrac Cab Accessories

Yes I love how comfortable my seat is! I can ride in it all day! :thumbsup: Also foot pegs, weights, fenders, and weight transfer are the only things left out on the 4100 to my knowledge, but everything that comes standard on the 4200s you can get on the 4100s.

No way did I mean to come across as saying the slip scoop is better than a loader.:( If you reread my comment, I was saying that IF there is no need to lift the bucket up high, IMO a slip scoop can be more efficient and less hassle than a loader bucket especially with Ventracs controls. I would take on any loader with my slip scoop if it had to do with moving things around, digging into piles or grading something and not needing the high lift. Also read the original comment, there was no mention of the need for high lift so why spend the extra money on a loader? Plus with the Ventrac you can do very minimal turf compaction to your lawn for moving mulch or other things and as a homeowner I love that. I have had to go help neighbors do their mulching because they had other units that tore up the turf too bad and the Ventrac floats along leaving a very small footprint behind.

@Badback
I think Ventrac has done a lot to keep the overheating down and the only people I hear having problems anymore are the guys that let the radiator screen fill up completely for months. Seriously, why can't you just check your screen before and after every use? If that is all it takes to keep from overheating then I don't see the problem. My dealer showed me pictures of a guys radiator screen. Had the tractor for 1 full year, forget how many hours, and it was completely caked with debris. :confused2: He didn't clean it once! Of course you are going to have overheating issues. You have to maintain all of your equipment, from your weed eater, chainsaw, generator, car, to your mower.

@ptexer
The B&S engines are rated better than the Kubota engines AFAIK. My dealer has both steiner and Ventrac and has never had a Ventrac with oil lubrication problems where they have run into some issues with the Steiners. He tried to explain it to me but I am not very technical, something about Ventracs having an altered oil pan or something?
ALL manufacturers are going to have emissions problems with the new regulations, even Steiner, Toro, JD, you name them, so his comment would stand for Steiner as well. Everybody is needing to change engines and tighten up on emissions which is good IMO, everybody needs to step up their game!

/ Is Ventrac tough enough?
I asked the Ventrac service dept at the company about the different engines for the 4000 series. This is what Bob replied about the air-cooled:

"The 4131 air cooled engine is an exceptional engine, it is air cooled, therefore the service intervals (oil changes) are at 50 hrs instead of 100 as the 3LC and it is required to change every 25 hrs. if operating in high temperatures and or heavy loads. This engine is 31 hp and has more then enough power to run all Ventrac Attachments—´, we also have several commercial contractors that own this unit and do extremely well with it, this engine is also purchased by several rental companies. However this Engine does use more fuel then any of the others mentioned in the previous email, roughly 2.7 gal per hr at 3600 rpm at full load. The 4100 series also DOES NOT come with the weight transfer system, front fenders, rear weights, or the 3-3/8 digital tac, these are all options that can be purchased and added. The 4200 comes standard with all of these. This engine does not have anymore vibration to it then the 3LC gas engine but is a little louder on the exhaust side."

Badback, thanks for the tip about engine access. I'll have to look see if I can get to the spark plugs and oil filter.

Danny